Setting up a US store for an LLC owned 100% by non-US resident

WhiteLotus_99
2 0 0

Hello team,

I'm helping out my client to setup a US-based store in Shopify. It is an LLC(sole proprietorship) and the business owner is residing outside the US.

The store and business will be operating in US, with all the suppliers and warehouses located in the US.

The business owner would be able to share the following documents for all the support needed.

• Government-issued photo ID (non-US ID)
  • EIN for the LLC(sole proprietorship)
  • Business Registration document
  • Proof of US physical address
  • USD Checking account

Would I be able to opt for Shopify payments?

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
brightpath
Tourist
3 0 1

Hello,

I have the same situation as you, so while browsing community posts I found this and thought I share it with you.

It says:

If the business owner is based outside of the United States, but their business is located in the United States then we may be able to provide Shopify Payments.  To have this reviewed, the account owner would need to provide all of the following documents:

• Government-issued photo ID (driver's license, passport, etc. - non-US ID may be accepted)
  • A Tax ID in the United States:
    EIN if the merchant is LLC/Corp
    SSN if the merchant is Sole Proprietor
  • Business registration document (Registered in the US with the government)
  • Proof that the business is operating from the US. This can include tracking showing they are shipping from the US or proof of a physical US address (not a forwarding address).
  • A USD checking account opened with a real US banking institution, located on US soil. Virtual banks and currency services will not work for this, it has to be a real US bank.

LINK to the original post

https://community.shopify.com/c/Accounting-Taxes/Shopify-Payments-for-non-US-resident-don-t-have-SSN...

WhiteLotus_99
2 0 0

But my client doesnt have a SSN since he is a US non-resident.

0 Likes
brightpath
Tourist
3 0 1

Hello,

As you can read in the link, either SSN or EIN is required. EIN will work just fine for you if your client is based outside the USA.

0 Likes