Shopify Payments for non-US resident, don't have SSN but have LLC

Tourist
3 0 1

Hello to everyone! 

I am NOT a US resident, but I obtained LLC in Delaware and I have EIN as well. I enable Shopify Payments and the funds deposits to my US bank account successfully. But I don't have a SSN as I am non-resident of US. Shopify still asks me to provide one, I see the notification that I am not verified on my dashboard. What should I do then? I am afraid to be restricted from using the payment system some day and need to know now how to prevent it?

Hope to get any information!

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
798 45 124

Hey, @kiraikra.

If you are operating out of the United States and wish to use Shopify Payments, then we would require an SSN to be added to the account to continue using our in house payment processor. The requirement for an SSN isn't something we are able to bypass and is outlined in our Shopify Payments Terms of Service Section B-3. In the event that you don't have an SSN, then it will require using an alternative payment processor for your store. Thankfully, the United States offers a wide variety of third-party payment providers that you can add to your store which are listed on our payment processor page.

-Peter

Peter | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 1

Thank you, Peter!

But in B-3 section it says that "To verify your identity, we will require additional information including your business EIN OR Tax ID, social security number, and date of birth"

Does that mean either EIN OR something else? I have EIN.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
798 45 124

To clarify that section, you would need to supply either an EIN or a Tax ID alongside an SSN, and your date of birth. 

-Peter

0 Likes
Tourist
3 0 1

Oh, all right! Thank you, Peter!

Hope to find the solution for me!

1 Like
2 0 0

Hey, @Peter 

I'm working on a project for a client. This client is a U.S based corporation. The corporation is owned 100% by a non-us resident which has no SSN, neither ITIN. 

Nevertheless, the business operates from the U.S, all suppliers are from the U.S and all items are fulfilled by U.S warehouses and sent with USPS. 

In that case, would I be able to set up a Shopify Payments account for them? 

Thank you.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
798 45 124

Hey, @jrfcve!

If the account owner is residing in the United States then we will require an SSN as there is no way to bypass this requirement. In the event that the owner is based in a different country, but operating their business in the United States then we may be able to offer Shopify Payments, however, a variety of documents will be required to get this setup. 

Let me know if you have any questions.

0 Likes
2 0 0

Thank you for your answer, @Peter 

Yes, the business is operated 100% from the United States, specifically from Miami, Florida. 

May I ask you which documents will be required to get the account settled up? 

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
798 45 124

@jrfcve 

If the business owner is based outside of the United States, but their business is located in the United States then we may be able to provide Shopify Payments. To have this reviewed the account owner would need to provide all of the following documents: 

• Government-issued photo ID (driver's license, passport, etc. - non-US ID may be accepted)
  • A Tax ID in the United States:
    1. EIN if the merchant is LLC/Corp
    2. SSN if the merchant is Sole Proprietor
  • Business registration document (Registered in the US with the government)
  • Proof that the business is operating from the US. This can include tracking showing they are shipping from the US or proof of a physical US address (not a forwarding address).
  • A USD checking account, opened with a real US banking institution, located on US soil. Virtual banks and currency services will not work for this, it has to be a real US bank.

0 Likes
3 0 0

Hi,

Does a Mobile Bill or an Internet bill work as proof of address for the business? 

Also, do the utility bills need to be on the name of the LLC or it can be on the name of the director.

0 Likes