Shopify Payments for non-US resident, don't have SSN but have LLC

Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
814 45 131

Mobile/internet bills would not be eligible as they don't confirm an address and could be managed without a physical presence. The utility bills would also need to be in the name of the LLC and not the director. 

Let me know if you have any other questions! 

Peter | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
2 0 0

Peter,

I am a US citizen with a SSN but live overseas.

Shopify Payments requested the following but I can only provide Photo ID front and back. I use my permanent address in the US (my parents home) so I don't have a utility bill with my address and of course I don't have a business license or inventory. What should I do? My credit card and bank account for PayPal are linked to my US address.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
814 45 131

@philerup 

To clarify, have you been contacted via email to provide this information?

0 Likes
2 0 0
Peter, Yes they emailed me.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
814 45 131

@philerup 

In that case, it would be best to follow up on the email, outlining what you can provide. For the documents that you're not able to provide, you'll need to provide as much information as possible as to why you can't offer them. From there, our teams will be able to decide on whether we can provide Shopify Payments for your store. 

0 Likes
1 0 0

Hi Peter,

I’m in this exact situation, based in Australia but have a US Corp, EIN, US bank account, state sales tax licenses, and shipping from the US though a fulfilment company etc. I received an email today about providing my SSN - but I’m yet to get this as waiting for my Visa to come through. How do I need to provide this? Do I just reply to the email asking for SSN explaining our setup and providing those documents, or is there another way to do it that is preferred?

thanks 

@Peter wrote:

@jrfcve 

If the business owner is based outside of the United States, but their business is located in the United States then we may be able to provide Shopify Payments. To have this reviewed the account owner would need to provide all of the following documents: 

• Government-issued photo ID (driver's license, passport, etc. - non-US ID may be accepted)
  • A Tax ID in the United States:
    1. EIN if the merchant is LLC/Corp
    2. SSN if the merchant is Sole Proprietor
  • Business registration document (Registered in the US with the government)
  • Proof that the business is operating from the US. This can include tracking showing they are shipping from the US or proof of a physical US address (not a forwarding address).
  • A USD checking account, opened with a real US banking institution, located on US soil. Virtual banks and currency services will not work for this, it has to be a real US bank.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
814 45 131

@Pabloinkosi 

If you've received an email, then replying would be your best route as you'd be in direct contact with the team that can provide insight into what we can and can't accept for your specific case. 

0 Likes
Tourist
3 0 1

Hi everyone!

@Peter, does Shopify accept ITIN instead of SSN? Assuming that:

- I do not live in the US and I operate from Europe

- I have a single-member LLC in the US and I'm considered as a disregarded entity

- I dropship items from China to customers in the US

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
814 45 131

@mattzima 

Our teams may be able to accept an ITIN instead of an SSN, however; we would require that all other information be provided as well. I can't guarantee that we'll be able to make this exception as it will require further review. If you do have all other required documents, then let me know as I can reach out to you via email to get this escalated up. 

1 Like
3 0 0

Hi Peter,

I had a conversation with someone from Shopify team here in India and he told that if we sign up as a C Corp, Shopify Payments wouldn't require an address verification ?

Can you please verify

0 Likes