Shopify Payments for non-US resident, don't have SSN but have LLC

Tourist
3 0 1

Hi, 

Thank you for clearing that up. I don’t have all the documents yet, I want to make sure I have everything sorted out before applying.

I will have an ITIN number and all the other documents I suppose but I’m still not sure how to deal with proving that the business is being operated from the U.S. since it’s not (as I mentioned in my previous reply, I operate from Europe and dropship from China to the U.S.). Does this make me not eligible or there’s some other way or documents to provide that can be sufficient in this matter?

Thank you for your support @Peter!

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
855 47 148

@mattzima 

My apologies for missing that in my previous reply. If you're operating from Europe, and not within the United States (i.e. you don't have the required documents), then you would be ineligible for Shopify Payments US. Shopify Payments is offered in other countries, so if you're operating from one of the eligible countries within Europe, then you could still utilize Shopify Payments for your store. A full list of supported countries can be seen here. 

If Shopify Payments is not available in your country, then it would require using a third-payment provider to accept payments. You'll still be able to sell in USD using a third-party payment gateway, however; your account will be subject to transactions fees vs credit card fees per order. 

Peter | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Tourist
3 0 1

Thank you, this explains everything.

1 Like
3 0 0

Hello @Peter,

I am currently in the process of setting up my store and was about to register for the shopify payments services. Here I am asked for my EIN and SSN. I do not have an EIN because I will be a sole proprietor and it asked me for a SSN in this case I do not have one because I am not a US citizen however I do have an ITIN and was wondering if I can use this instead of SSN to register for shopify payments services? Hope I can get this question answered.

-Thankyou

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
855 47 148

@aolg479 

If you're operating from within the United States, then an SSN would be required as an ITIN can not be accepted when registering as a sole proprietor. 

0 Likes
1 0 0

I have a company in Delaware LLC with virtual business address. I do dropshipping in the US and have all the documentation I need to use Shopify payments. My question is whether as my store is dropshipping from US suppliers and I don't need to have a physical, just virtual address that is in my EIN contract, can it be accepted? the company account at the bank has this address as well, all company documentation is at this address.

I use the service of this company: https://www.postscanmail.com/services/virtual-business-address.html

Thanks.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
194 23 42

Hi @talitamarinho,

Thank you for asking your question and outlining your situation. It is sometimes possible for merchants living outside of the United States to have a US Shopify Payments account, but it's generally a rare occurrence and there is specific criteria that will need to be met.

In terms of your business, have you registered it with the US government for tax purposes? Do you have a bank account that accept USD with a US banking institution? In terms of you personally, do you reside in another country that Shopify Payments is available in?

If you can answer the above I will be in a better position to let you know if you'll likely be eligible for Shopify Payments or not.

Kind regards,

Victor | Shopify Social Care

- To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

HI 

you can buy it also as LLC

may i ask how much did it cost you to registering LLC also how did you open bank A/C as alien ??

Thank's

0 Likes
2 0 0

Hey Peter, 

Maybe you have some advice as my situation is very similar. 

Shopify is currently asking for a Photo ID (USA) but I have some concerns.

I live in the USA, have been since i was 5, and am a DACA recipient. 

My DACA has not been renewed yet, and both DACA and DL expired last month. I understand it is a difficult situation because of the politics situations occurring in our country at the moment.

I have a VALID SNN, a valid business bank account, an LCC. I have also provided Shopify proof of where I live, bank statements, etc. 

But they are asking for a PHOTO ID (USA). Both of the ID's I could use expired last month. 

Do you think this would cause any issues? Should I submit my DL? My SNN card? 

Thanks in advance

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
855 47 148

@alonsin07 

I wouldn't be able to give a concrete answer on what we can and can't allow as each case is unique. Have you received an email in regards to this, or are you only seeing a red banner in your admin? If you've received an email, then following up there will be your best approach. If you only see a red banner, then uploading the requested documents, then explaining why the ID is expired in the notes section will be the best steps you can take to finding out if we're able to make an exception. 

1 Like