I have been using the Shopify created app for quickbooks for about 3 months now. At the end of each month, when I sync sales, I notice that my COGS number is way off. It seems to be because Shopify is adding the sales receipt but not removing the item from Quickbooks inventory. This sometimes happens correctly for one product on an invoice but not others.
I have also noticed that Shopify imports the product variable differently depending on whether the item was sold with the POS or online. (Product Title - Default Title from POS, Product Title from online). I've set it up to sync using product SKU but this does not seem to have corrected it.
Any suggestions as to what I may be doing wrong are welcome! (I do ensure I've created the product title in Quickbooks exactly as it is in Shopify)
Thanks for your post!
The Quickbooks app is built for sales so it exports your orders.
Currently the app does not handle product inventory. Some other third party apps for QuickBooks do handle inventory however:
I'm not sure on the POS and online store differences. They should still export from your orders. How do they display differently?
I hope this of some help to you Meghan. Please let me know if you have any questions on the above or more details regarding your problem.
Thank you for the response John. Let me see if I can explain the issue better.
I track inventory in Quickbooks in order to calculate Cost of Goods Sold. When I use the Shopify app to transfer sales into Quickbooks, the Sales records are transferred correctly; however, many times the second part of that transaction does not happen so it adds the sale but does not remove that sold product from Quicksbooks. Thus, understating cost of goods sold.
Eg. Order #1-1029 of $100 is processed for a bag. When this order is transferred to Quicbooks, it adds a sales transaction for the selling price but the bag is not removed from inventory. When I run Income Statement report, it says my revenue is $100, cost of goods sold is $0 so profit is $100.
The challenge is that sometimes, everything transfers correctly and inventory is updated accordingly. This means I have to go through each sale transaction individually to determine which one worked and which didn't.
It sounds like your problem may be within QBO. Go to Products & Services and check the product record for the particular item that was not relieved from inventory. Make sure that you have designated an Inventory Asset account (the one you actually track inventory in) and an Expense account (Cost of Goods Sold). If either of these are blank or contain the wrong account, your inventory won't be relieved properly.
Hope this helps,
If your problem is like ours, then the issue is in how the shopify integration to QBO matches products. The shopify sync doesn't match your existing product for some unknown reason and it will create a new service product and use that on the sales receipt. Therefore your COGS will be off. You have to go update all the sales receipts to use the proper inventory product.
We have found the following happen to certain products, or even just variants of certain products. In each case there is an active product with a matching name in QBO.
Example 1 - We had an inactive product in an inactive product hierarchy. There was an active product with the same name. The shopify sync matched to the inactive product and the sales receipts errored telling us the product had an inactive parent.
Example 2 - We renamed all our inactive products. The sync now should match one of the existing active inventory products. It is still creating new service products regardless. I rename and deactivate those products daily. Or it may be re-activating and renaming some of the inactive service products, since I can't find the old ones that were inactivated the day prior.
Example 3 - There is one inventory product that has been repeatedly renamed and inactivated, and I swear that the shopify sync is re-activating and renaming it.
Trying to work through shopify help has been frustrating. They are really nice, but once they have to escalate to the product teams you get second hand answers that don't go beyond "we don't distinguish between active an inactive products in QBO." They say to delete the old products, despite being told repeatedly that you can't delete products in QBO, only deactivate them.
So about 2/3 of our products / variants come through correctly. We have to manually update the rest every day.