Shopify store in the European Union

Simeon_Kostadin
1 0 0

Hello everyone, 

I am currently a resident of Bulgaria - a country in south-east Europe (part of the European Union) and plan to open a Shopify store. My idea is to have the business entity set up in Bulgaria and sell all the goods to customers from Germany (also in the European Union). I was curious if anyone has experience with selling from one country in the EU to another. I am specifically interested in learning more about the legal side (what is the taxes process - should I pay to my home country or to Germany) and how Shopify assists in that situation?

If anyone has experience in a similar situation, I would love to hear more. Thank you so much :) 

Simeon 

0 Likes
Nick
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3595 292 697

Hi Simeon, 

Nick here from Shopify. ?

Great question as taxes can be difficult to figure out at the best of times. The first thing we always recommend is to talk to your local tax office or a professional accountant regarding your taxes. Shopify has a very helpful guide on all things regarding taxes which you can find here. If you are setting up your store in Bulgaria and you are a resident of the country also, it makes sense for you to set up under Bulgarian tax laws, even if you are selling to other EU countries, but it is still best to discuss this with a professional before setting anything up. 

Don't hesitate to ask any other questions. 

All the best, Nick

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes