Should I register for gst in Australia?

Highlighted
1 0 0

Hey everyone. I’m deciding if I need to register for gst in Australia.. all I need to know for this is if that shopify withholds the 10% gst charge on my orders and pays to the ATO on my behalf or not? Or is shopify charging g me the %10 and keeping for the shopify company? 

if shopify withhold the %10 and supply to the ato on my behalf than there is no need for me to register for gst

thanks guys hope I can get a quick response 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
908 86 175

Hey, there!

Lulu here from the Shopify Support team. Thank you for getting in touch here, and I'll be more than happy to help you out with your question.

Great question! As of March 1, 2018, Shopify charges 10% GST on invoices for Australian merchants. GST is being applied to Australian invoices to ensure that both Shopify and merchants comply with local tax regulationsMerchants in Australia are only required to register for GST if you meet the conditions laid out here. Since GST registration is not mandatory unless you meet those conditions, smaller merchants might not have registered their ABN for GST. Even if you are not yet required to, registering for GST is optional for you to do at any time. 

If you wish to be tax exempt on Shopify invoices, you will need to register your ABN for GST with the Australian government. Shopify does not file or remit your sales taxes for you.  We have a guide on taxes that you can check out here for some more information but If you have questions about what implications registering for GST will have for you outside of Shopify, you will need to speak to your local tax authority or a tax accountant. 

I hope this helps but please let me know if you have any other questions at all about Shopify- we are always here to help!

Lulu | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes