Show VAT in Cart or at checkout

Highlighted
1 0 0
Hi,
I want to show my product page prices inclusive of VAT but in the cart/checkout show a breakdown with the VAT amount. I have seen other Shopify sites which do this but I can’t see how to do it. Thank you.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
693 63 88

Hello, @Claire78.

Elias here with Shopify Support. Thank you for this inquiry.

Just to clarify, customizing the checkout is only available on Shopify Plus so there will be some limitations. Nonetheless, you can modify your theme to capture VAT numbers by using the cart attributes to collect more information. You can also adjust your theme to show VAT prices on your product pages. Please note that both are advanced coding guides that are not supported by our Theme Support team. If you have limited knowledge of HTML, CSS, Javascript, and Liquid, feel free to hire a designer or developer from Shopify Experts.

If you need to provide invoices with VAT numbers, you can use our free app - Order Printer. Order Printer can help create the invoices and show the cart attributes you’ve collected on the cart page.

Alternatively, there are a couple of third-party apps that can also help with capturing VAT numbers or create invoices. I’ve handpicked a couple for you to look at:

• Sufio: Professional Invoices - Sufio can help create invoices that are EU compliant, they also have a guide for capturing VAT numbers on various pages (eg. Customer account creation page or cart page).  
  • Exemptify - this app can help show VAT prices on your product pages as well as capture and validate VAT numbers on the cart page but does not help create invoices.
  •  

If you need any assistance with these apps, you can always reach out to the developers directly through the contact information found in the Support section of the app’s page.

I hope this provides a couple of options for you to look into. If you have any other questions on this topic, don’t hesitate to let me know in this thread.

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 1

Thank you for this explanation.

I just tried to show VAT prices on my product pages with that tutorial you linked to, but it looks different in my code. I think it might be due to two things, possibly:

- I have the Supply theme

- I have variants (e.g. ring sizes)

What are my options then of displaying VAT to the right customers? I'm in Sweden and want to charge VAT to EU but not to other countries. Since I just set up my website I'm trying to fix it by myself instead of paying for an app.

Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
693 63 88

Hey, @Satsuki_mei.

Thank you for reaching out and I appreciate you trying to customize the theme on your own. The advanced tutorial for showing VAT prices on your products will vary slightly as the difference lies in the template of the theme you’re working on. 

That said, I’m not sure if you will be able to detect your customers’ location and show both VAT and non-VAT prices to your customers without using an app. Our guide for tax overrides and exemption recommends using something like Sufio or Digital Takeout: Easy Invoicing to provide your EU customers with VAT compliant invoices. Determining your customers’ location can be accomplished by using a third-party app that does Geolocation. However, if you prefer not to use an app, then you’re likely looking at a significant amount of custom coding to carry this out.

As mentioned, I’m afraid this level of customization falls outside the scope of our Theme Support. If you have limited knowledge of HTML, CSS, Javascript, or Liquid; I recommend hiring a developer or working with Shopify Experts. Shopify Experts are experienced with custom coding and might be able to help you explore custom coding for these functions.

If you have any more questions on this topic, feel free to reply to this thread and I’ll be happy to help.

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
89 1 36

Hi Elias,

Thanks for mentioning Sufio in your reply, as well as our guide for capturing VAT numbers!

I just wanted to mention that we also have another article, which @Claire78 might find useful, about including or excluding VAT on your store, and how it affects your invoices.

If you or Claire ever have any questions about Sufio, please get in touch with us at support@sufio.com, and we'll be glad to help :)

Have a great day,

Liam

Support Manager

Sufio

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

I'm also having the same problem, I set my store to show the prices inclusive of all taxes, but I couldn't find a way to breakdown the product's displayed price at the checkout page.

For example, I'm selling a product for $100 (All tax included), the displayed price on the product's page is $100, and I want the costumers to see in the checkout: Product price: $80 - Taxes (20%): $20 = Total: $100

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Me too. 

We collect taxes, our prices are inclusive but for using this document for exporting and DDP its important that we can show the break down.

So that the local authorities charge us accordingly as well. 

0 Likes