State tax being added automatically

John203
Tourist
7 0 7

My company is on the east coast.  My drop shipper is in California where my products are shipped from.  Since I use real time rates, I need to put the warehouse address in my "store location" in general settings.  I do not charge sales tax in California though, but Shopify automatically adds to state taxes whatever state is listed in my general settings.  

I've deleted the state from my tax settings, but every now and then, the system automatically adds California back in to my tax settings and charges sales tax to those customers when it shouldn't.  

Would love to know if others experience this.  I would think anyone using a drop shipper out of state would encounter this problem.  Any thoughts on a fix for this?

0 Likes
Kiersten1
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
85 0 12

Hey John,

Sorry to hear you've been running into that issue - when you see that kind of thing happen, please don't hesitate to reach out to our support team (support@shopify.com) so we can lend a hand and make sure things run smoothly! As a solution as well, I would suggest setting up a tax override. This document here<u> </u>will walk you right through it so you can make sure taxes aren't charged in California. :) 

0 Likes