State tax not calculating.

Laurie_Nickerso
Tourist
13 0 2

Hi Shopify forum!

I am having an issue with sales tax. I want to collect sales tax for Massachusetts, and I think I have it set up correctly, but whenever a customer from Massachusetts checks out through our shop, we see the line "State Tax (6.25%) but it calculates to a $0.00 value. So, we are not collecting tax on the goods, and we need to be. Any ideas on what we are doing wrong? 

Thanks!

Laurie

0 Likes
Ann
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
510 0 88

Hey Laurie, 

I'm Ann, from the team here at Shopify :)

There are a couple of ways you can set up taxes for the United States in your Shopify store. The first would be if you had a physical presence in the state. Then you can enter in the zip code of that location, and taxes for that state will be automatically calculated. The second would be to manually set up taxes in your store based on state. To do that, and to see more detailed steps on how to set up automatic rates, check out this page in our Shopify Manual. 

If you follow those steps, the taxes should be applied to the order. That said, I took a look at the store attached to your forums account, and I did a test checkout. By using a zip code from Massachusetts, I was able to get the right tax applied to my cart. Check out the example here: 

Can you do a test on your end to see if you get the same results? Let me know :) 

I hope this helps! If you have any more questions or concerns feel free to reach out to us on this thread :) 

Have a great one,
Ann

Ann | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes