Statement of Charges only available for 90 days - need export for entire store history

blconn
Excursionist
13 0 21

Hello,

You used to be able to export your discrete statement of charges going back as far as you need - this was a CSV export with subscription charges, app charges, and shipping label charges.  Our store has been open with regular business since May of 2016.  I recently found that the custom date range is now limited to only the last 90 days.  I chatted with a "guru" and they told me that it's just not possible to get that export unless I ran reports discretely or downloaded all of the invoices.  To be frank - we're now missing a critical piece of our business data.

Why is this export now limited to only 90 days?  I can export all of our orders going back as far as I need - obviously I need our accounting data too.

I'd appreciate any help someone could provide with helping us get access to our accounting data again.

Thank you,

Brian

Replies 35 (35)

Ren
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1032 66 153

Hi, Brian

Ren here from the Shopify support team. Thanks for getting in touch with your concerns. 

There was a recent change implemented that rolled back the range of data and will now only go back as far as 90 days for the sake of scalability. Moving forward, I recommend making a routine of downloading the reports for yourself once a month so you can keep a database and should you need access to anything prior to 90 days, you can reach out to the Shopify support team 24/7 and we can escalate the request to the appropriate team for you.

I hope this helps! 

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

blconn
Excursionist
13 0 21

Hi Ren7,

Funny you say that - I would have already downloaded a full export and kept a running table if I would have known that access to that data would be taken away.  As it was, I assumed (incorrectly) that I would have access to all of my accounting data into the future.

Will the support team be able to provide me with a full export so that I can start keeping my own data offline?

Thanks again,

Brian

Ren
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1032 66 153

Hello, Brian

I completely understand.

I reached out to our Billing team for some insight and my understanding is that the data from your Statement of Charges can be found in your emails dating back to the time you opened your store. In the event that you no longer have access to that account or the emails weren't saved, please reach out to our Support team for further assistance. 

blconn
Excursionist
13 0 21

We are looking for an export in order to upload to a local database and a suite of accounting software.  Scraping through three and a half years of archived emails isn't going to cut it in this case.

We reached out to support asking for an export of our accounting data back to the beginning of our store, and the answer we got was "no".  They told us it wasn't possible, but we could go through 5+ clicks and an email export for every single bill if we really needed the data.

To be frank, I'm shocked at the response we received from support and the fact that Shopify would disable a function like this with no notice and no possible recourse.  This whole thing has been really disappointing and has caused us to lose trust in this platform.  What other functions are going to be taken away from the admin without notice "for scalability"?

It is what it is at this point...we'll deal with it one way or the other.

James22222
Excursionist
11 0 19

This is absolutely absurd. How do you continue removing useful features and forcing us all into 3rd party apps to accomplish even basic business functions. Infuriating. 

TheSteelShop
Tourist
6 0 9

Hey, Did you find a solution for this? we need to export the whole year of 2019. I don't understand why they would limit the export to 90 days with no warning.

blconn
Excursionist
13 0 21

Hi there - we didn't find a supported solution, so I ended up writing some jQuery to run per-page as I move through the invoices.  It is not ideal at all...and it took a couple of hours to get through with a lot of accountability risk, but it worked "ok" enough to get data into our local database.  It's wild that Shopify would take this away with no recourse.

TheSteelShop
Tourist
6 0 9
Yes it is wild, not sure what's the point of them doing that.
James22222
Excursionist
11 0 19

Because they remove features to push us into 3rd party apps for everything. It is beyond aggravating. 

TheSteelShop
Tourist
6 0 9

I can't even find a 3rd party app that works for this, did you?

James22222
Excursionist
11 0 19

I have not looked. I just don't understand why they would remove the year end statement of charges. It seems they are the only company that removes features as they grow. Asinine.

blconn
Excursionist
13 0 21

We didn't look either - we felt it was absurd to even think about paying for a feature that used to be available.  I caught up our database by a long, risky, and arduous process...and am just making sure I export once a week or so.

TribalMarks
Visitor
2 0 0

Shopify, this appears shady. It's so disappointing - one wonders who they built this service for.

snehal
Tourist
5 0 17

I totally agree with Brian.

I am able to see years of statement history with my bank statements, credit card statements, utility statements, mobile plan statements, etc. It makes no sense whatsoever for Shopify to limit the access to statements to only 90 days. For new store owners like myself, who aren't aware of this issue, we're unable to account for and thereby correctly prepare taxes for charges incurred.

Why would any company remove their charge history? It's ANTI-transparent and gives the impression that the company is trying to hide their charges.

My accountant needs our Shopify billing statements from the beginning of the year. How can we get this?

Ren
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1032 66 153

Hi @snehal@blconn@James22222 and @TheSteelShop 

I'm just dropping in to let you know that I understand your frustration and recognize why your requests are important. I have sent the feedback from each of you to our Merchant Feedback team for review and consideration.

For the time being, you can still access the data you need by viewing and downloading each bill separately and plugging the data into a spreadsheet to help expedite the process of obtaining your total numbers. I completely agree that this is not ideal.

If anything changes, this will be my first stop for an update. 

snehal
Tourist
5 0 17
FYI: We get billed every single day because we reach our billing threshold.
That means, we'd have to download the billing statements for 30 days and
individually copy/paste them into a spreadsheet, hoping not to make an
unintentional mistake, which can happen when doing volumes of manual data
entry.

This is completely ridiculous. What's even more disturbing is why in the
world would someone or some team at Shopify decide it's no longer necessary
for customers to see their monthly billing statement history? It's
COMPLETELY ABSURD and RIDICULOUS. This is the type of stuff that eventually
leads to laws being made that prevent companies like Shopify from making
"Anti-transparent" movements that essentially make it very difficult for
customers to see how they're being charged. It's just plain wrong. It
violates consumer trust.
George_C
Trailblazer
155 1 145

Just another voice to the chorus echoing the need for access to this data. 

I can't even comprehend how anyone on the development team could justify removing access to accounting data for an online shop. Do they not file taxes? Does Shopify not track their own finances? 

It's not like these are HD video files, they are numbers. 

I don't see any point in removing the data, EVER, as long as your subscription is active. 

And to not even warn shop owners about this deliberately-implemented change is just beyond belief. 

Monster, creature & cryptozoology patches, buttons & stickers.
TheSteelShop
Tourist
6 0 9
FULLY AGREED, this is ridiculous.

snehal
Tourist
5 0 17

****NOTICE PLEASE READ******

As fellow Shopify store owners, If we collectively want Shopify to care about this issue, please "Like" all (or as many as you can) of the other supporting comments on this thread.

If I was leading Shopify's product management team, which I'm not, I imagine this would be one of the criteria I would use, or my team would use, to prioritize caring about this issue compared to the many other issues posted.

David238
Visitor
1 0 2

Need to add my voice to the choir. I had no idea that I wouldn't have access to this information and now it's gone, and I certainly don't have time to go through every sale and email and add it all up.  This is really terrible business practice and I have never encountered something like this on any website with financial records. It does look very shady on your part as to why you deny access after 90 days. 

jagmte
Visitor
1 0 0

I am prepping for end of year taxes, and just noticed this issue.  I cannot believe that I cannot get a detailed spreadsheet of shipping, apps and fees I paid.  Downloading individual pdf's and imputing that information into a spreadsheet, when I have many invoices because of the low threshold amount is just unacceptable.  Does anyone know if this information is available if you pay for the more expensive monthly plan?

abdu09
Visitor
1 0 0

This is pretty crazy and I have $299 monthly subscription plan and the data is still limited to past 90 days. Please, let me know if you guys found any other easier solutions.

Ren
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1032 66 153

Hi Brian and to all participants of this thread, 

I'd just like to update everyone that this issue has now been addressed and resolved. You should now be able to access your Statement of Charges going back 2 years. To do so, navigate to Settings in your admin and select: 

From here, you can select view all billing history

This will enable you to view all of your billing history dating back 2 years, filter them and export via CSV: 

Please let me know if I can clarify any of those steps or if you're running into any issues accessing your data. 

TheSteelShop
Tourist
6 0 9
Finally!
mdsm40
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi,  

Unless I've read Ren's reply incorrectly it doesn't seem like the question is answered. My understanding is that business are trying to export transactional data with customers, not transactions with Shopify.  I'm trying to get downloads of data from 7 months back as I need them to file taxes.  

Am I reading this incorrectly? 

George_C
Trailblazer
155 1 145

The original request was for:

CSV export with subscription charges, app charges, and shipping label charges

This new update fixes that specific situation for sure. 

You mentioned exporting "transactional data with customers" — what exactly is the data you are exporting? 

I think the other data, like sales and such, are found in the Reports -> Finances section (Total Sales, and Payments), and have date ranges that go back much further in time, perhaps even all data from the start.

Mine went back to at least 2017. Didn't check any further back. 

blconn
Excursionist
13 0 21

So for us - this only partially fixes what was our original issue.

It's definitely nicer to be able to go back and get history for two years - I verified I could export back to late January 2019, but no farther.  However, when I originally posted this thread we were attempting to export billing information for our store - primarily shipping label charges - going back all-time (in our case this would be June of 2016).  In case some newcomers to this thread are unaware - this was possible at one time, but this functionality was removed and replaced with a 90 day window without notice.

This still doesn't fix the original ask - but it's better anyway.

We have since created some in-browser code that - while not perfect and a bit risky if not managed properly - allowed us to scrape the invoice data out of the Shopify admin so that we could build our own billing data repository...just in case other functions were removed without notification.

So - in a nutshell: is a two year window better?  Absolutely.  Does it get us back what we originally had?  No.

George_C
Trailblazer
155 1 145

@blconn yeah I see now you were initially looking for all-time exports, and this doesn't solve that as you mentioned.

Most likely, I had previously downloaded my data for taxes each year, so had no reason to go back further than 24 months. That's what I was thinking as far as this solution "fixing the issue". 

It does appear that you can download the individual PDFs going all the way back, which isn't ideal or what you anted, but at least the data is accessible. 

mdsm40
Visitor
2 0 0

Thank you GeorgeC  Yes, thanks for that pointer.  It's close enough to what I was after so all good.  

cbags
Visitor
1 0 1

I found what I was looking for, which is what I believe some of you were looking for...

Instead of going into Settings > Billing, go into Analytics > Reports and you can access a Finance Summary for Q1-4, 2020....I was having a heart attack!!!

KinkyKouture
Visitor
1 0 1

I hope Shopify understands that by not maintaining this information they are not SOC compliant. Businesses are audited all the time and need to have the ability to access this information. 

TheSteelShop
Tourist
6 0 9

This actually does not help, before we could of exported into csv the whole statement of charges for all the year, it is still only 90 days now

StarP
Visitor
1 0 0

This is not working still. I am unable to filter for a specific date range to be able to get my billing transactions for my accountant.

It allows me to select ‘on or before‘ or ‘on or after’ but I need to have a date range as otherwise it includes too much data.

why can we not have this? It exists in the other analytic features and seems like a basic requirement Shopify should provide its customers 

mami1
Visitor
2 0 0

I was able to find instructions to be able to see shipping label costs and set date ranges as desired : https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/reports-and-analytics/shopify-reports/report-types/default-report...

mami1
Visitor
2 0 0

@blconn I had the same problem - and was not aware they were doing away with the full access to export. I did however find that you can see your shipping label costs (and add columns for destination, package size etc) at this instruction location (sad that Shopify hasn't referred others to this!): https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/reports-and-analytics/shopify-reports/report-types/default-report...