Tax Component Showing at Checkout

1 0 0

I'm wanting to get the tax component (10% for my region) to show up at the checkout stage so my customers can see the amount if needed. Is there any way I can do this?

many thanks,

Dan

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
540 0 55

Hey, Dan!

Savannah here from the Shopify Guru Team.

All applicable taxes should show up in the order subtotal after your customer has entered their shipping details at checkout. When I did a test on your store, I was able to successfully populate the tax, which appears to be included in the product price. Take a look here.

Let me know if that option still isn't popping up for you! You may also want to try clearing your browser cache, just to be sure. 

Have a great day,

Savannah | Shopify Guru
support@shopify.com

0 Likes
1 0 0

Hi Savannah,

I have the same problem as Dan. No matter what I try, I don't get to see the amount of VAT anywhere. I've tried putting "All taxes are included in my prices" on and of, but it just doesn't change anything.

A few other questions:

1. I'm from Europe, so I'm required to show all my prices including taxes in the EU.
    Is it possible that shopify sees automatically what country someone is from, so that someone from outside the EU sees pricing without the taxes?
  2. If that isn't possible: is it possible to let someone select his/her country so pricing can be adjusted to that?
  3. At the checkout is it possible to build up like:
    1. Price of the item + VAT + shipping costs = Total price?

Thanks

Kind regards,

Richard

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
540 0 55

Hey, Richard!

Thanks for reaching out. I think the issue you're experiencing is a bit different from the one above. You'll want to take a look and make sure that all of your products have, "This product requires taxes" checked off on the product page. You can examine all of your products at once using the bulk editor: 

• Navigate to Products, use the checkbox to select all of your products. Click "edit products" from the menu adjacent to the checkbox. 
  • Once you're brought to the bulk editor page, use the blue menu at the top of the page (Add Fields) to select the "Charge taxes" option. 
  • Make sure each item has the "Charge taxes" option checked off. We've got a great guide on using the Bulk Editor here.

Let me know if that does the trick! If not, we'll do some more trouble shooting together. :) 

Savannah | Shopify Guru
support@shopify.com

0 Likes
1 0 0

Hi Savannah,

I have the same problem as Richard and I used the tips you gave to Richard however I'm from a Australia and the GST (tax) is 10% and when I tested it out at the checkout for a $19.99 product the included tax was $1.82 but I put the tax in as 10% but then shouldn't it be $1.99 for tax.

Thanks,

Addison

0 Likes
1 0 0

Hi,

I'm also having the problem of the tax breakdown not showing up at the checkout stage on the two shopify websites I manage:

https://child-org-shop.myshopify.com/

https://undercover-books.myshopify.com

Please could you advise! Many thanks,

Bobak

0 Likes
1 0 0

Hello to Addison4

I've just had the same query and then eventually worked it out. You've probably done the same by now, but this might help someone else.

• If you were adding tax at 10% to a product costing $19.99, then the tax would be $1.99 and the total cost of the product would go up to  £21.98.

• If 10% tax is already included in the total price of $19.99 though, then you have to divide this total by 110 in order to calculate 1% of the original product price. 
  • Once you know what 1% is (in this case $0.1817)
  • Then you can multiply your 1% by 100 to calculate your pre-tax product price ($0.1817 x 100 = $18.17)
  • Or multiply your 1% by 10 to calculate the tax on this product ($0.1817 x 10 = £1.82)

I found this online tool which does the same calculation faster.

Just set your rate of tax then either add or, as in your case, remove it from the price of the product.
http://www.vatcalculator.co.uk/

Hopefully helpful!
Cheers.

0 Likes