Tax exempt at checkout

Tourist
17 0 0

Hello,

If we have a customer who is a reseller, we would like to exclude charges from the total price.

How can this be achieved at a checkout level?

Our idea is to have a checkbox on the cart page asking if the customer is a reseller  and if the customer checks that we would like to exclude taxes for him. We would then later verify with the customer by asking her reseller permit number and charge him taxes if we are not able to verify the identity.

Can you please help us with how to modify the code to achieve this?

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
149 37 54
Hello, if it were me, I’d slightly modify your described process. I would recommend having the customer create their account first and then it’s very easy for you to set them up as tax exempt.

1. Customer creates account and contacts your rep who gets their information.
2. When account is created and verified, you can go in to the Customers tab, now go to the customer and select tax exempt.

I have done what you’re saying for a couple stores in the past and they always got burned by people selecting the option to be tax exempt in checkout when they didn’t qualify resulting in lost money. Not everyone does it but even the few that do, it adds up.

Please let me know if you have any questions.
Did I provide you with a working solution? Give me an Approved Solution!

Likes are appreciated as well :)
1 Like
Tourist
17 0 0

Hello @shayOwensby ,

Thank you very much for your valuable reply. I totally understand what you are saying. 

What was told me was that, if the user does check that he is a reseller, we are going to ask them for their reseller permit number and if they are not able to prove the identity,  we will make sure we charge them.

Can you please how you have achieved this at the checkout level by tweaking the code?

Thank you very much!

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
149 37 54
Hello,

Using the process I described, we used a wholesale app that would display wholesale pricing once they were logged into their wholesale account. If you weren’t logged in to an approved wholesale account, you would see standard pricing for the public.

This is the app we used: https://apps.shopify.com/customer-pricing

Highly recommend this app developer. Very user friendly dashboards and always offer great support if needed.

I recommend setting them up as a wholesale customer first because if you send them an invoice for the difference in tax, I don’t believe they’re obligated to pay it.
Did I provide you with a working solution? Give me an Approved Solution!

Likes are appreciated as well :)
1 Like
Tourist
17 0 0

Great! Thank you so much for your reply @shayOwensby  . I really appreciate it.

You are right. The only issue is we can't make the checkout process automated and let the users buy 24/7 without any intervention.

I was told that the money we would lose if some customer tries to fake the identity is less and we don't want to compromise on reseller's experience on the website as they will be frustrated to see that they have to pay taxes. 

We are already using bold custom pricing app (but not the wholesale app), we don't have a different price for whole sellers except that they wont be charged taxes.

So just having the checkbox on the checkout page and subtracting the taxes from the total amount if the customer checks the box is what we are trying to do.

0 Likes