Tax for a Bakery shop

john_shek
6 0 0

sweetnote.myshopify.com

This is a canada store and for Baked goods, we are only allowed to charge tax if the quantity of baked goods they buy is under 6 items. Anything over its suppose to be tax free. 

I noticed there is not alot of tax setting we can configure on shopify so I am trying to look for a way to apply that change?

Can anyone help or give me suggestions?

0 Likes
Patisserie
Tourist
3 0 1

Did you ever resolve your issue with the tax overrides? I am facing the same problem.

0 Likes
Victor
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
886 78 219

Hi @Patisserie,

I have checked this for you and can confirm it is not possible to set two different tax rates for products determinable by the amount of products the customer buys. Can you confirm for me which Canadian province you are based in? Do you sell your baked goods online or in person, or both?

Kind regards,

Victor | Shopify Social Care

Victor | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Patisserie
Tourist
3 0 1

Quebec but it would be the same regardless of province since it a federal GST exemption based on quantity of normally taxable items.

0 Likes
Victor
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
886 78 219

Hi @Patisserie,

Okay, I see. Thank you for clarifying that. If you're selling your products in person via the Shopify POS, you can manually make a customer tax-exempt at checkout if you know they are buying enough products to not be charged tax. This would need to be done by the cashier each time but is the best workaround at present. If you make online sales, you would have to refund the customer if they have paid tax they should not have done, and you could also try reaching out to a Shopify Expert to see if any custom solution can be found.

Kind regards,

Victor | Shopify Social Care

Victor | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes