Tax is being Removed when Customer is added

Solved
Tourist
6 1 1

I am creating a draft for customers. Tax is toggled for all items. Customer isn't toggled as exempt. I add items to the order and total shows the tax correctly. When I add the customer to the order the total adjusts and removes the tax?? 

I have tried completely deleting the customer and recreated them. It didn't fix anything. This has happened with two customers. I created a different order and customer and hers worked fine. 

0 Likes
Tourist
6 1 1
Happened again new customer created order/invoice. Added the customer only for the tax to go to $0?!
0 Likes
Community Manager
Community Manager
2177 137 291

Hi @sparklewcupsy,

Nick here from Shopify. 

This does sound very strange. Just to clarify, this only happens when you create a draft order and then add the customer to the order? If so, a draft order should include the taxes based on your store settings and the customers shipping address as stated in the Shopify help document about this below. 

04-38-o3u4s-elqwg

You can see the full help document from here

Is this still happening for you? If it is an ongoing issue, it's difficult to see why this might be happening without taking a closer look. If you would like I could reach out to you directly about this to dig a little deeper as to why this might be happening. Let me know. 🙂

All the best, Nick

Nick | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes

Success.

Tourist
6 1 1

I was able to figure it out. I had my local tax turned on, but anyone outside of the area wasn't being taxed. I figured out how to add a tax to all areas. I think I had it set to automatic tax which wasn't working for my particular situation. 

1 Like
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager
2177 137 291

Great to hear you figured this out @sparklewcupsy, thanks for sharing your solution with the community upon finding it.

Hopefully, it will help other's in the community if they run into similar situations. 

P.S. I saw your post was in the POS topic within the community. I was thinking it might be more appropriate within the tax section and will move it there if that's ok with you. 

Nick | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes