Tax on product page?

Highlighted
6 0 0

Hi!

As we all know, Shopify does not support multiple shipping addresses at this time. I am hoping that changes soon as I totally dig Shopify, love the people and love the product.

However, in the meantime, I've had to come up with a workaround. When a customer clicks on the Buy This (or Add To Cart) button, a modal window pops up asking for shipping address fields along with desired delivery date and a gift message. All the fields on that modal come through as line item properties which is not ideal but the only workable solution I could come up with. 

The problem is the taxes. My site has to charge sales tax on any items shipped to Washington State. This just occurred to me yesterday. So, now I'm wondering how I could calculate and include tax in the product price when the item is added to the cart.

I've included a screenshot of my product page setup. Would really love any input or ideas of any kind here. I'm about a week from launch so kind of in a panic.

Thanks in advance! 
Susan

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
959 1 54

Hey Susan,

As this is an extension of Shopify's native functionality, I believe you'll need to hook up with a Shopify expert here to see if there is a way to make this happen. While I do like the shipping address extension you've done here, you're kind of on the hook for making sure that all applicable tax charges are applied to your orders.

You can reach out to an expert via the link below:

http://experts.shopify.com

Matthew Buttler
Guru
Shopify Inc.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
2 0 0

are you telling me that i need to pay a 'shopify expert' in order to charge maryland tax

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
959 1 54

Hi there!

No, that's not the case. I had a look at your shop, and as it's located in Florida, you are only required to taxes on orders remaining within Florida, as per US tax law. This also applies to any other states that your business has an entity in. If you happen to have an entity in Maryland, you can add the zip code for that office or branch in your tax settings by adding it as you did for your Florida branch.

http://monosnap.com/image/rARMn1eWAivL3WnVs0IQ2b9mw

Talk to you soon!

Matthew Buttler
Guru
Shopify Inc.

0 Likes