Tax rates by county

jp337
8 0 0

I'm using an out-of-state print fulfillment company and I need to charge Use Tax for sales in that state and the Use Tax Rate varies by county.

Shopify doesn't let you create tax rates on a county level.

Can I just add physical presences in those counties (with zip codes) and then just create overrides by county?

It seems like it should work but I'm not sure if that would create any issues.

0 Likes
Keith_B
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
14 0 5

Hey, Keith from Shopify Support here!

I would suggest applying a tax override to a Shipping region. You can find out how to do so in this Guide. The taxes are set based on your customer's location as indicated when they check out. It will allow you to create rates at a provincial/state or country level depending on the region. If it is provincial you can just assign it to all provinces to create a country level override. 

Happy selling!

0 Likes
jp337
8 0 0

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately that will not help my situation.

I need to collect Use Tax in the state where dropshipper is located and I am unable to manage this with the current available settings.

If it was Sales Tax then it would be simple, but the Use Tax rates are completely different from the Sales Tax rates.

From what I've been testing, it seems that the only way I can accomplish this is to add a "physical presence" for every zip code in the state and then create an override for every single one.

Unless I am overlooking something?

0 Likes