Taxes on Pickup only items

Timothy_Baird
4 0 0

Greetings!

I run a web store dedicated primarily to used and refurbished restaurant equipment. Due to the nature of our business and size of the items we sell, we offer all items over 149 lbs as customer pickup only. In other words, our large items are FOB our dock, and our customers arrange their own freight shipments.

In our state, selling an item over the internet and FOB our location requires us to collect taxes on those items. I have been able to set up a shipping rule for items over 149 lbs that gives free shipping and says "customer pickup only", but I haven't been able to find a way to charge the appropriate taxes.

Essentially, I need to be able to tell Shopify to assess taxes on all items over 149 lbs, regardless of the customers' address. How can I accomplish this?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Nathan27
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
81 0 1

Hi Timothy,

You'd want to look at setting up a hidden collection that includes all of the items over 149 lbs and then creating a tax override for that collection to specify the rate to be used :)

Let me know if theat works for you!

0 Likes
Timothy_Baird
4 0 0

Thanks for that Nathan. The way I'm reading this though, it seems be saying that it will apply this tax for items over 149 lbs in my state. According to our CPA, selling an item FOB origin, we need to collect KY sales tax regardless of where the customers' address is. Am I seeing this right?

I suppose if I am, I could just add every state to this override with a 6% rate?

0 Likes
Nathan27
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
81 0 1

Hi Timothy,

I see what you mean, it's a very specific situation! 

To work with what's in place you would want to set the override up for each state like you said, this means adding a large number of override options, but it should work for you. I've brought the situation up with our dev team as well to look into potential improvements on setting up a more universal tax override (by country as an option rather than just by state for instance). Definitely a use-case we could improve on!

0 Likes
Matthew16
Tourist
10 0 2

My problem is similar, but maybe there is an easy way to deal with it that I am not seeing. 

We sell nationwide, but we do not ship anything nationwide. We sell to vacationers that come in from all over the country to stay locally. However, we deliver everything to there vacation homes, and never actually meet them face-to-face. 

So using POS isn't an option as we don't actually have a store. And we need to charge the local tax rate for the area/county, regardless of billing addresses. There is no "delivery" or shipping address that we can use. 

How do I force a single tax rate for all orders, regardless of the billing address? Related question - is there a way to remove all reference to shipping address as it just confuses the issue?

Thanks, Matthew.

0 Likes
Matthew16
Tourist
10 0 2

So I figured away around half of my issue - I just set the tax rate for all states to be my local rate and turned off the "auto calculate" feature. Not very elegant, but it works.

Would still like to remove all reference to a shipping address, though, particularly during checkout (using Shopify gateway). Any options for doing this? Or is there a way for me to modify how the address is shown and populate it with info from the specific order?

0 Likes
Timothy_Baird
4 0 0

Thanks for sharing, Matthew. I hope you get an answer to your question. Hopefully Shopify will give some attention to this!

0 Likes
Nathan27
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
81 0 1

Hey Matthew,

To stop the shipping address from being required at checkout you'll need to remove the checkmark for "Requires Shipping?" at the product/variant level. If none of the items in the cart have the 'require shipping address' checked it will not ask for shipping information at checkout, only the billing address :)

If you want to switch this on all of your products in one go you can use the Bulk Editor to push the change through!

0 Likes
Matthew16
Tourist
10 0 2

Thanks, Nathan - that is a huge help. I looked all over, but couldn't find a way to do this. It seems to be working now, though. And it explains why we didn't see it in testing - we have 4,000 products, but only a handful had this enabled (just enough that we saw it pop up a few times in the real world).

0 Likes