Taxes seem to only be applied to shipping, not products

Highlighted
1 0 0

I've set up my products and shipping charges; verified tax rate; and am not including tax in prices.  When I test it out I find that tax is only applied to shipping.  When I have a free product plus shipping charge, tax is charged.  When I have product charge and free shipping, no tax is charged.  Do I have something setup wrong?  Has anyone else noticed this?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
90 0 15

Hi, Stevan! 

Alicia here, from the Shopify Guru team! 

I hope to shed a bit of light on what could be happening here! When setting up products themselves, you'll want to make sure that they are set to have tax added - if you wish to have your products taxed. I would suggest checking on your product pages in your Admin, and scrolling to the price section to ensure that the "Charge taxes on this product" box is checked off. If that section isn't checked off, then that would explain why taxes are only being applied to your shipping costs. You can simply then just check off that box and test again - your taxes should apply correctly as you've set them up! 

Hopefully, this clears things up for you, Stevan! Don't hesitate to let me know if you have any further questions at all. 

All the best,

Alicia D. | Shopify Guru

support@shopify.com 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
70 1 33

Hi Stevan,

Have a look at our article which will help you troubleshoot why taxes are missing on orders. It is a general setup guide, so do not worry about some of the specific Sufio-related notes!. This will fix your issue.

If you would decide to give Sufio automated invoices a try, or If you need help with anything else, just contact our support department at support@sufio.com.

Hope this helps!

Jan, Sufio

2 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

Is there a way to check the "charge tax" box without having to go into all 400+ products and all the variants?  This is going to take me FOREVER!

OK, so I just went into a product, checked the "charge tax on this product" box, logged out of my website, went back into my website and purchased my product.  Still only shows sales tax on shipping, no tax being charged on my item.  This is a problem.  I will have to cut into my profit to pay the great state of Georgia.

Can anyone help me with this?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
90 0 15

Hi, Dawn! 

Alicia from Shopify here! 

You can absolutely edit product information in your Admin without having to go into each product individually. For this, you can use the Bulk Editing option! You could also export your products via CSV file, update that information and then import the file back into Shopify - this guide can help with that. 

When you're testing a product purchase on your website, Dawn, are you using a location that is in your county/State? Taxes set up automatically will only apply to orders being shipped to areas that taxes are applicable - which in many cases may only be your county/State. Taxes within the States work on origin based or destination based rates - as can be explained in this article by TaxJar. Just to double check everything for you, I'm sending you an email so that I may be able to access your backend settings and ensure that things are all setup! 

Warmest regards,

Alicia D. | Shopify Guru 

0 Likes
Highlighted
11 0 0

Hi Dawn,

You can also use our Bulk Editor app to change the tax setting for all products or just for products that match a certain condition.

Once you install the app you can search for the products you want to edit, click next, and select the 'Is Taxable' field to edit.

I hope this helps

Regards

Need to edit lots of products at once? Our Bulk Editor app makes it easy: https://apps.shopify.com/bulk-product-editor
0 Likes