Solved

Why isn't my Shopify site collecting taxes in test mode?

Kabresha
Visitor
3 0 0

I'm in test mode and my site is not collecting taxes. My tax ID number is in Louisiana where my business is registered but my inventory and shipping is out of Florida.

Accepted Solution (1)
Victor
Shopify Staff
2393 224 515

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @Kabresha,

You mentioned that the site was not charging prices appropriately, so what I was asking was whether or not a shipping address in either Louisiana or Florida was being used at checkout. If so, taxes should be charged, and if not, taxes won't be charged, unless you have a tax nexus in other states.

If you're still having issues with this, please provide further information and I'd be happy to take a closer look at this for you.

Kind regards,

Victor | Shopify Social Care

Victor | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 3 (3)

Victor
Shopify Staff
2393 224 515

Hi @Kabresha,

Thank you for reaching out with your question. It looks that you likely have tax nexuses in both Louisiana and Florida, meaning you will be required to collect and remit sales taxes for sales made into these states. When you test an order, are you using an address from either Louisiana or Florida? If not, then no taxes will be charged, as you are typically only required to charge sales taxes for states in which you have a tax nexus in.

Kind regards,

Kabresha
Visitor
3 0 0
Hello Victor,

What do you mean by "are you using an address from either Louisiana or Florida?"
Victor
Shopify Staff
2393 224 515

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @Kabresha,

You mentioned that the site was not charging prices appropriately, so what I was asking was whether or not a shipping address in either Louisiana or Florida was being used at checkout. If so, taxes should be charged, and if not, taxes won't be charged, unless you have a tax nexus in other states.

If you're still having issues with this, please provide further information and I'd be happy to take a closer look at this for you.

Kind regards,