UK VAT/TAX - selling from Australia

RB6
Tourist
4 0 1

Hey guys,

First time poster, long time lurker. I am currently selling in Australia and looking to start selling in UK. Consequently I have some questions about the tax implications. The setup I am hoping will look like this.

- Still be based in Australia
- Have products sent from the factory to a warehouse in UK
- Orders placed through our website get sent directly from UK warehouse to customer.

Now, what Australian/UK tax/vat implications will I face?

Import tax? Goods and services? I really don't have a lot of experience here so would love your help.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Anne_M
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
498 1 59

Hi RB,

My name is Anne, on the Guru team. Thanks so much for getting in touch with us on the forums! 

On the Shopify admin, a store can be set up to collect taxes based on your location and your customers shipping address.

I just had a couple of clarifying questions that you may like to think about!

• Do you mean that you're planning to have products exported from Australia to the UK to be shipped around the UK? Have you found a warehouse and asked their advice? They may be a great resource of information!
  • Are you going to register your business in the UK at all, and do you need to do that ?

The tax regulations for internation exporting and selling would need to be checked with your local tax office, and perhaps the UK revenue and customs website may have some information for you as well, if you'd like to check that out - https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-revenue-customs

Hopefully we'll hear more from someone who has experienced something similar as well!

I hope this helps!

Warm regards,

Anne

0 Likes