US Shop set up Canada Taxes by Mistake

2 0 0

I am new and doing my quarterly taxes for the first time.  I have a US shop and set up Canada taxes in error (upon further reading, I don't hit the threshold required to collect taxes for a few Canadian shipments). 

Now I can't "un" set up Canadian taxes.  Instead, at this point, I have just put a 0 in all the tax options on the Canadian tax table.  Is that sufficient to solve this so I don't charge my Canadian clients any taxes, or do I need to do something else?

Many thanks.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
592 28 66

Hi there @lara9209!

Don here from Shopify. :)

It should be the case that once you have set all tax rates for a region to 0%, that you would not be charging taxes for that reason.

Could you give us a bit more info on how you first set up these taxes so we can be sure of how that worked?

If you let us know the steps you took initially, that might shed more light on the current situation, but as above, if you have set these rates to be 0% there should be no reason why taxes would be charged for that location.

Regards,

Don

Don | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
2 0 0

Thanks for the response Don.  I was doing my state taxes for Q3 and I realized I wasn't collecting taxes for Canada sales (as my Etsy account does).  So I went to the process to set it up.  I went to Settings > Taxes > On Tax Regions I clicked on the SetUp button for Canada.  But there weren't any base taxes populated, so I clicked on "reset to default tax rates".  

Upon further investigation, I now know that my business is too small to be required to collect Canadian taxes and I understand why Etsy has to and my individual store in Shopify does not need to.  

So I went back to try to get the label on Canada in the Tax Regions are to say NOT COLLECTING like it still says for the rest of the world, but am unable to return it to that status.  

I have reset all the tax rates to 0 for Canada, so if that solves the problem, I think I am good.

Thanks

Lisa

0 Likes