Urgent issue regarding sales tax - Shopify is behaving incorrectly suddenly

ckong
Excursionist
51 0 7

I'm in The Netherlands, my item prices are including VAT (sales tax), the box 'charge tax on this product' is ticked, and the other settings regarding tax are as folows

Image 017.png

This is the situation since I started the shop, which was in January, and every order was handlede correctly, VAT wise > EU customewrs were charged the listed prices (including tax), non-EU customers (mainly USA) were charged net-prices (without VAT).

Suddenly, since two days, Shopify is behaving totally wrong, Dutch customers still pay the listprice, which is correct. 

But ... since two days EU customers get added 21% sales tax to their prices at checkout and pay too high prices!!!

And US customers don't get the net prices anymore at checkout, but now pay the lsitprices, which is too high too!! 

What is going on? I checked the orderhistory and this incorrect behaviour is since last Thursday.

Replies 7 (7)

ckong
Excursionist
51 0 7

LOL, so I was just informed by the support team that this is a technical problem that exists from March 12th. Why don't they inform us about this because it is a very serious problem for all EU Shopify shops that sell outside their country? Unbelievable.

They're working on it, which, given Shopify's troubleshooting reputation, doesn't mean it's fixed anytime soon.

And July 1 is fast approaching, I wonder how Shopify will implement the then new EU VAT legislation in their shop software.

Max1957
Excursionist
25 0 26

I am based in the UK and I have a similar problem that started sometime on the 12th March...  It needs to be fixed urgently 

ckong
Excursionist
51 0 7

This really sucks, I receive messages from customers all day long what is happening with the prices!! Shopify, solve this asap.

Max1957
Excursionist
25 0 26

Yes, it is vital that Shopify have a working solution that supports IOSS from 1 July....

ckong
Excursionist
51 0 7

LOL, I found out late last night that they fixed it. Not that they told me, no, I checked two sales orders from the hour before and saw that these two customers got lucky because of the temporary workaround that I had. (17% country discount to compensate Shopify's sales tax calculation error).

Ian_Turner
Visitor
2 0 2

We have a similar problem which is affecting all our EU customers.

ckong
Excursionist
51 0 7

I 'found' a temporary workaround by adding a 17% discount to all EU and international countries where we sell our stuff. This way customers in those countries pay more or less what they are supposed to pay. Let's hope that the issue is solved soon, but I was also told that the support- and development team receive more tickes than usual, so they are busy .........