VAT ID - EU customers

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

Hi to all,

What's the best way to add a VAT ID field to the customer account in order to have that automatically available at check-out or/and to enable a customer without an account to enter the VAT ID and forward that information to support invoicing.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
127 0 7

Hey there,

One thing I can recommend for this here, would be to add a custom customer registration form, including a form for the VAT ID #.

That will collect your customers VAT ID's as they register.

Once that's done, you can add a cart attribute to your cart page, which would allow for a customer to enter in their VAT ID if they wanted to checkout as well.

There are apps like Sufio that can help with including everything in your invoices properly as well. They had a guide specifically for setting up your VAT ID available here if you wanted to check that out as well. :)

That should do the trick for you!

Justin L

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
9 0 1

Hi,

not sure if you are still looking for a solution, but we recently launched an app excactly for this purpose. The name is Exemptify, you can find it on the Shopify App Store.

Exemptify adds a EU VAT Id field to the customer account section of your shop and verifies VAT Ids through the official EU Webservice VIES.

Exemptify validates the VAT Ids of your customers, stores them if they are valid and then tax-exempts the customers. The VAT Id is added as an order note to each order placed through accounts with valid Ids.

Optionally the app also fixes the price display in your store front to show the price incl. VAT (which is a legal requirement in the EU).

Hope that helps. Please message me if you have any questions.

Cheers
Thorsten

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
52 0 27

Hi Manuel,

As Justin mentioned, our app Sufio has a working solution that is able to capture and validate VAT registration numbers from business customers and automatically set EU business customers as VAT exempt so they are not charged VAT during checkout.

VAT numbers can be captured on the customer registration page, cart page or even checkout page, but the last option is (unfortunately) only available to Shopify Plus stores.

If you need any help or have any questions just let me know.

Cheers,
Norbert

2 Likes