VAT Relief For Disabled Customers

Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 1

Hello.

I seem to have came up against a major stumbling point of Shopify... (However, I might be wrong)

Our customers who are disabled or have specific health conditions who are wanting to buy from us have the right to not pay tax on any orders they make. This means that the price they are paying on the store is the VAT relief price. However, when going through the checkout process the price indicates that they are paying includes VAT at 20%.

Is their anyway I can change that?

My Mobility Today | www.mymobilitytoday.co.uk | We Compare Group
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 1

Comon! Somone must have a solution to this!

My Mobility Today | www.mymobilitytoday.co.uk | We Compare Group
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
70 1 33

Hi Kristoffer,

There is a way to do this. Have a look at this article; it explains how to set disabled customers as VAT exempt on the customer registration page.

Hope this helps.

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

I used a mixture of the Sufio solution and added the below code in te login and registration pages, this auto marks the customer for VAT Exemption:

<!-- Shopify customer registration -- checkbox for VAT Exemption. Used by Sufio for Shopify (www.sufio.com/shopify). -->
          <p>
            <input type="hidden" name="customer[tags]" id="Disability" value="disabled, tax_exempt" />
            <input type="checkbox" value="VAT Exempt" name="customer[note][novat]" id="novat" />
            <label for="Disability" class="inline vat">Are you VAT exempt<span class="tooltip1"> &nbsp;?<span class="tooltiptext1">Please select here if you are eligible for 0% VAT</span></span></label>
            <input id="novatbox" type="text" name="customer[note][ExVAT Reason]" placeholder="Please describe your condition or disability" />
          </p> 

Hope it helps someone else.

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hi Anna, I had a look through your store and it looks like you have a mixture of products that are VAT Exempt for disabled users, and others which would not be VAT exempt.

Did Sufio help you with that? I am in a position with part of my product portfolio being VAT exempt and others which are for the general public and not VAT exempt.

I misread some of the VAT exemption guidance and thought Shopify could do it with a mixture of a VAT exemption rule and marking a customer as VAT exempt. Dash, I need to slow down and read things in more depth!

0 Likes