VAT and shipping outside of EU

Adam_Bastock
Shopify Partner
16 0 11

Hey all,

We're currently having some issues setting up our taxes for our store. We sell both tax (VAT) exempt and taxable products - books and magnets etc. 

It's currently set up so that if someone from say, the USA, buys a book and a magnet - the VAT is taken off the magnet so the price reduces, and the book price stays the same (as the price never included tax in the first place so nothing to take off).

For example, if I bought our products in the UK/EU, my cart looks like:

Book - £2 

Magnet: £12

Total:  £14

If I did the same in the US however, it would be:

Book - £2

Magnet: £10 (because tax taken off)

Currently in our shopify store however, these prices are not changing and the price remains the same for the US or the UK - but just the notification of 'with XYZ taxes included' appears for the UK, dissapears for the USA.

How have other stores got around this? We've had very little trouble in setting this up with our older system and is a bit worrying that we are having such issues with shopify! 

Shopify Setup and optimisation consultant
0 Likes
Rachel31
Excursionist
94 0 11

This is an issue for me too so I was wondering if there were a solution. I've just had to become VAT registered so charge VAT to UK and EU countries but I would like my checkout to take the VAT off for my customers outside the EU. Can Shopify do this? and if so how do I implement it? IF not is this development work that can be done and does anyone know of someone who can help?

I'd really appreciate some help with this as I feel completely in the dark!

0 Likes
Wayne_K__Ellis
3 0 0

If you sell, supply or transfer goods out of the UK to someone in another country you may need to charge VAT on them. Generally speaking, you can zero-rate supplies exported outside the European Union (EU), or sent to someone who's registered for VAT in another EU country, provided you follow strict rules, obtain and keep the necessary evidence, and obey all laws

http://www.onlypro24.com/
0 Likes
Rachel31
Excursionist
94 0 11

@Wayne How do you do this though in Shopify? 

0 Likes