VAT (tax) issues with DEAR intergration

Vicky_White
4 0 0

We have recently launched our ecommerce shop in the UK and we are using the DEAR accounting package. We are having issues with the order pulling through from Shopify into DEAR without seperating the VAT (tax) on the product i.e. a cushion which costs £25 is pulling through as £25 but should be pulling through as £20.83 + £4.17 tax. We have removed the option on our site to show the prices excluding VAT as this is the norm in the UK. So what we want in an ideal situation is the following:

- Customers to see the price including VAT 

- When the order pulls through to DEAR, the price being calculated as the cost price + VAT and seperating it

Does anyone know how we can get around this dilemma - both Dear and Shopify have drawn blanks so far!

Fingers crossed! Thanks!

0 Likes
Nathan27
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
81 0 1

Hi Vicky,

The data for each tax line item is available when the information is requested by DEAR through our API even it's being included in price. They can pull the 

tax_lines

on the order which will return the type of tax, the rate and the actual amount charged. From there they should be able to map it to the correct accounts in the software! More details on that can be found in our documentation here

0 Likes
Vicky_White
4 0 0

Thanks Nathan. 

I've just notcied that the VAT is not itemised in my order management screen. See attached screen shot. 

Although i think I've ticked the correct box, to say Tax is included in my prices. 

Could this be why DEAR can't see the VAT itemised? Third screen shot shows what the order looks like in DEAR. 

Thanks

Vicky 

0 Likes
Nathan27
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
81 0 1

I'm only seeing the screenshot of what it looks like on DEAR, doesn't look like the first 2 showed up!

I can do some more digging on this, but we should have the tax amount and rate itemized as their own line items when they apply. Could you give me an example order number where VAt was charged so I can take a look?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Vicky_White
4 0 0

Hi Nathan, 

I think I've worked out how to itemise the vat at a product level but now I'm having trouble getting the delivery vat itemised. 

See attached file showing the test transaction i did to double check the vat at product level. This worked perfectly but I noticed my delivery charge still wasn’t including tax. So I ticked the box in Shopify saying ‘charge taxes on shipping’ and then did another text order (see example 2 in the attachment). This time the correct amount of tax seems to have been charge but when this pulled through to DEAR it was all at the product level instead of separated between the product and shipping? 

Any ideas on how to correct? 

Many Thanks

Vicky 

0 Likes
Nathan27
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
81 0 1

Hi Vicky,

That sounds like it may be the way that DEAR is pulling in the tax information. We do have the tax lines separated in the actual data, for instance in the test order 1084 that you placed the product tax looked like this and the shipping tax lines looked like this. It might be that the DEAR app is pulling the total tax line item and applying it as the product tax. They can definitely change how that's done through the app using our API, but it would likely be a development job for them!

0 Likes
Vicky_White
4 0 0

Thanks so much, Nathan. I'll talk to DEAR. 

0 Likes