Why is the 'edit order' option not working properly?

ckong
Excursionist
51 0 7

If I change an existing order, for isntance add a product, replace a product, delete a product, then financial statistics and cvs exports are not changed accordingly or are showing incorrect information and export data. Why is that?

For instance: when I add an item to an existing unfullfilled order, the total costs of goods sold to date are not including the costs of that item.

When I replace an item in an unfullfilled order, both items are in the CVS export!! And the new item is not in the Financial Sales statistics!!

When I delete an item in an unfullfilled order, then that item is still in the CVS export.

Are these issues known and being handled?

Replies 4 (4)

Olivia
Shopify Staff
1693 146 297

Hey, @ckong.

Welcome to Shopify Community. My name is Olivia and I work here.

I'd be glad to help answer your questions today. It sounds like you are running into two distinct issues that I'd like to address and provide more context around.

A. Your reporting is not running the latest numbers

Reports can take up to 12-72 hours to fully update. This means any changes in sales, numbers, or other report data will reflect correctly after that time period.

B. Your CSV order export information isn't reflecting your changes

This is a known limitation of CSV exports. You can manually identify order edit changes by previewing Financial status (paid) and the Fulfillment status (fulfilled) in conjunction with the Line item fulfillment status (pending)in the export.

If there's another reason this interrupts your workflow, then you might be interested in using a third-party app like EZ Exporter to customize your export and exclude the original data.

When you do replace items, inventory is updated immediately so you won't have to worry about overselling a product or inaccurate values. Once your reports are updated, you will also have the information you need easily accessible.

I trust that answers your questions, but let me know if anything else comes up.

Warm regards,

Olivia | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

ckong
Excursionist
51 0 7

Thank you for your reply, Olivia. I had to wait until the 72 hours of the order edit had passed for my reply, to check the financial reports on their accuracy.

And regarding A: I'm sorry to say that the financial detail reports (sales and costs of sales) are not uopdated after 72 hours. I added an item to an existing order now about 80 hours ago, and the item is still not in the financials reports of that order. Why is that? I mean, the orderdetails show the item, why is it so difficult to showe that item too in the financial reports? Also because the item does show up in the order export CSV file. 

Regarding B: Why is this a limitation? The order details show the correct positions in the edited orders, why can't the CSV export? Where does the CSV export pull its data from? This is basic information that everybody wants to have accurate in their export data, there should be no need to pay for an external app to get that basic info exported correctly to Excel. And it does interfere with my workflow because I make all items that I sell to order, and I use the order export data to generate production lists in Excel. But now I have to correct them manually for every edited order, so that I have correct production lists.

ckong
Excursionist
51 0 7

We are now 108 hours further down the road after adding an item to a sales order and the financial reports are still not updated! Why not?

LOL, and I just found out that even a cancelled order remains as (costs of) sales in the financial reports ánd as pending in the CSV order export! Are these basic errors being addessed by the development team?

Olivia
Shopify Staff
1693 146 297

Thanks for your reply, @ckong.

Let's dive right in to your follow-up questions. 

Financial reports should definitely have the previous item removed, and the new one added, but you have to make certain adjustments to your reporting to see that information. To do this, open up the report and Edit Columns to check off:

☑Adjustment
☑Discounts
☑Gross Sales
☑Net Sales
☑Orders
☑Returns
☑Total Sales
Product Title

This report will show the date of when your new product was added, and the old product removed as such:

01-56-i4jmi-mi38m

Any dates prior to when the adjustment was made, would show that the item is sold. This is accurate, as it would have been sold up until the point it was returned.

For the second part of your question, I assume you are referring to Profit Margin reports for profit by product? Discounts and refunds affect your profit margin. If you sold discounted products or issued refunds during this time period, then the reported Gross margin is different than the margin you see on the corresponding product details page. Learn how discounts and refunds affect profit margin.

I also want to take a moment to again address that CSV order exports not reflecting order edits is a known issue by our development team. We are always working on ways to improve this experience with future updates, and this is certainly on our list.

Please let me know if you still have any questions.

Warm regards,

Olivia | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog