Wrong Sales Taxes

Highlighted
Tourist
10 0 1

I have a sales nexus in Barrington, Illinois.  I did a test sales using a Illinois address and the sales tax is wrong.  It should be 9% - not 7%.   My location is Barrington, Illinois (Cook County) which is 9%.  Anyone from Illinois should be charged 9%.  Is there any way this can be changed?  Most of my sells will be local so this is important.  

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 1

Is it possible that the ship-from address for the order is in a jurisdiction with that rate? Illinois is an origin-based state meaning shopify *should* be using the ship-from tax rate. Are you on Shopify's latest Tax calculation technology that is available to new accounts?

Alex from TaxValet

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
10 0 1

Thank you for responding.  I know it should be the address where my business is located/shipping from.  It's 9%.  I used my next-door neighbor's address and it came out at 7% which is wrong.  I was able to figure out how to override the tax percentage.  I am still working on my site - I'm almost ready to launch it.  I did try Florida and California addresses to see what would happen and sales taxes weren't charged - I'm not sure if that's correct.  Maybe it will correct itself once I launch the store.  

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
10 0 1

I see other people on this post saying the same thing.  I know it's not just me.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 1

Is it possible that your shipping address is listed as being out-of-state? If so, then the tax rate would default to using the destination-based rate (rather than origin-based rate). 

-Alex from TaxValet

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
10 0 1

Hello TaxValet,

The address I tested was my next-door neighbor's address so I know what the tax rate is.  The tax rate is 9% not 7%.  I was able to over-ride the tax for Illinois to be 9% which is the correct rate.    

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

How did you override it? I am having the same problem and shopify is NO HELP! Just excuses. I am required to collect and remit 9% because of the business district I am in and it's only collecting 8%. It used to work fine, now I hear a buch of excuses from shopify and no solutions. They want me to manually add every one of the hundreds of products a week that we add to a special collection just to override the tax. I'd need another staff member just to keep that straight, it'd cost me less to to eat the 1% (which is about $700 - $1000 a month I am losing right now) PATHETIC for such a company as shopify to be failing in this manor. Anyway, how did YOU work around it? 

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Just curious to know if you have found a solution to this issue? I am operating in the same town and experiencing a similar issue. Shopify is charging for both lake and cook county tax.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
10 0 1

2111Tee -

Here's what I did to fix the problem.  You go into settings - taxes - on the top of that page is shows the American flags - collecting (edit)  You select edit which brings you to a new page.  Product Overrides - select add overrides.  I selected Illinois entered 9%. and selected on the bottom add overrides.   Do the same thing for shipping overrides.   This should work - hope it helps!!!

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
10 0 1

2111Tee -

After you override your taxes, do a test to see if it works.

Good luck to you - happy sales to you!!!

-Anita

0 Likes