Wrong sales tax rates applied by Shopify Automatic settings

Alain_Mutricy
1 0 1

Sales tax rates applied by Shopify in 3Q15 in San Francisco, Santa Monica, Danville counties are inaccurate. As a result I have to pay (as store owner, I am liable) additional sales taxes that shopify did not collect from my customers.

How quickly can we get this fixed? Am i the only one to experience this?

Jamie
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
5711 0 152

Hey Alain,
We try to keep our tax rates as up to date as possible, however they change frequently and sometimes we don't get the new rates right away.

We've recently updated a large batch of rates, can you confirm that the ones you're referring to are fixed? If not, can you let us know which zip codes are still incorrect?

Thanks!

http://shopifyplus.com ::: http://twitter.com/bacchus
John_Lee2
12 0 0

Yes, I've been having the same problems as well. It seems that Shopify is incorrectly using billing zip code to calculate sales taxes, when it should be done based on shipping address. This is urgent. Could you lookinto/fix this issue?

0 Likes
John_Lee2
12 0 0

On another note, I also noted that the county taxes aren't properly applying as well. The problems is bigger than I thought.

0 Likes
Chris_Krueger
1 0 0

We are also seeing taxes being caluclated incorrectly. For many states we should not be paying municipal taxes where we do not have nexus but it appears that the municipal taxes are applied to all regions in that state. Is there documentation on how the taxes are calculated?

0 Likes
GraceFooden
2 0 0

I/we are experiencing this now too. It's charging the state tax 7.2 for San Francisco and not applying the municipal tax. 

0 Likes
FWoodwardWSS
Tourist
4 0 1

A recent order from one of our customers was charges Santa Fe, NM county and city taxes. The billing and shipping addresses are both in Albuquerque, NM. It's bad enough when the sales tax is calculated incorrectly based on ZIP code but Santa Fe and Albuquerque are 75 miles apart. There is no excuse for this level of inaccuracy.

0 Likes