Zero Rated VAT Relief for Disabled Customers UK

Tourist
3 0 1

Hello, 

A number of my customers (but not all) will be eligible for zero rated VAT relief due to a disability. I'm searching for a way to modify my purchasing process to enable eligible customers to:  

1. Tick a box saying they are eligible for zero rated VAT relief on the product (which removes the 20% VAT from the price)

2. Then complete a standard declaration form with their details (which is then sent to me for record / tax purposes)

3. Then complete the standard checkout process, purchasing the product with zero rated VAT. 

Can anyone provide advice on how this might be achieved? 

Many thanks in advance, any help is greatly appreciated. 

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1748 86 214

Hi @groly,

Nick here from Shopify. 

This is a great question. There is a workaround for this, which might not be the same workflow that you have outlined below, but it would be your best bet in this scenario. You can apply a tax override by setting up tax-exempt customers where they would not be charged any tax when they complete a checkout. Something to remember is that the customers must check out with the same email account they have listed on their customer account. You can apply a tax-exempt customer by taking the following steps:

1. From your Shopify admin, go to Customers.

2. Find the customer you want to exempt from all taxes, and then click their name.

3. In the Contact section, click Edit.

4. Check Customer is tax exempt.

5. Click Save.

You can also see the full help document Shopify has for this here

Hope this helps! 

All the best, Nick

Nick | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Tourist
3 0 1

Hi @Nick , 

Many thanks for your reply. I'm not sure I quite understand how that workflow would work... 

If I understand correctly, your solution would work if they were an existing customer and they had requested to purchase VAT free. I could then go in and adjust their account to make them tax exempt before they checked out again.

If they were a first time customer buying a product, I can't see how this would work as they go through the check out process themselves? 

It is seeming really difficult to allow disabled customers to purchase VAT free on shopify. Apologies if I've misunderstood your suggestion - any help greatly appreciated. 

Many thanks,

Geoff.

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1748 86 214

Hi @groly,

I completely understand where you are coming from with that. The reason I suggested this particular method is that you would need your customers to complete a standard declaration form before they are able to be tax exempt. You could do this with a Contact Us page (I will touch more on this later) but once you have the customer details from this declaration you could create a customer in the admin and register them as tax-free upon doing so. For non-first time customers, they would already have created profiles in the Shopify admin after making an order and you would need to just go into their profile and tick them as tax-free shown below. 

14-14-quvqq-ob78v

I touched on a contact us page above to help gather the customer information for the declaration form for you. Shopify has a helpful tutorial going through all the steps on how to add a contacts us page for this which you can see here

I know it's a little bit of a tricky setup, but I feel it is the best way for you to accomplish what you're looking to do. Can you let me know if you think this would work for you? 

All the best, Nick

Nick | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes