Payment methods

Highlighted
2 0 0

Hi all, I have been selling for three weeks now on Shopify but all my customers have only bought by way of paypal. I also have all usual credit cards available at checkout but no customers buying through them so far..? according to my Shopify account manager they are active,,, My question is,.. is this the norm? Thanks in advance Susan

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
100 16 30

Hi,

Yes I think it's like a norm if paypal is available as checkout. People will prefer to use paypal to checkout instead of entering their credit card details.

Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
600 62 110

Hi @trovehurst,

Hyde here from Shopify. That's an interesting question!

It's great that you're offering your customers different ways of paying at the checkout, it's always better to have a choice.

The fact that you've only been open three weeks means that it's perhaps a little too early to really draw meaningful conclusions from what's going on on your site. I would say though that if you have definitely set up and activated your credit card gateway, then we can only guess why your customers so far have opted for Paypal instead.

First off, Paypal offers customers an added layer of security that they might want, especially when purchasing on a new site they haven't bought from before. Paypal also offers buyer protection too, which is naturally a big selling point.

Does your site offer trust indicators? As with any physical stall in a marketplace, you're looking to earn your customers' trust so that they will buy into your brand and willingly (nay, enthusiastically) part with their money. So, for example, do you have an About Us page and Contact Us page?

On the flip side, you want to make sure that none of the people making purchases on your store are potentially fraudulent. Sometimes fraudsters may try to use eChecks on Paypal (which are just like normal checks/cheques but in digital form) that will bounce, leaving you out of pocket and missing a product. So I would advise disabling your Paypal account's ability to accept eChecks by following this guide.

Similarly, we have an outline of fraud prevention tips right here that you will want to follow to absolutely safeguard against malicious or ill-intentioned agents.

I hope this all helps, let me know if you have any other questions!

All the best, Hyde.

Hyde | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Highlighted
2 0 0

Thank you Hyde for that very detailed answer. Much appreciated. Susan troverst.com

0 Likes