Hemp-enriched skin care products - Shopify Payments

Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 1

Would hemp-enriched skin care products be considered restricted by Shopify Payments?

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
429 12 39

Hi Scott!

Katy here from Shopify. I hope you are well and thank you for posting. :)

Whether a product would be restricted by Shopify Payments or not depends on the ingredients that the products contains. For the most part this restriction would be based on products that contain CBD. 
However, if you have an example of an item and it's ingredients, I can of course have a closer look into this with our internal team, to help get you a more definitive answer.

I have sent you an email, do feel free to reply to this when you can.

Cheers,
Katy 

Katy | Shopify | support@shopify.com

Katy | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Tourist
8 0 1

Hi Katy,

Thank you very much for your response. I do not yet have a website. I am doing all the pre-planning to decide which e-commerce platform will work best. The products that will be sold will be similiar to this product with 100% Pure Natural Hemp Seed Oil

Additionally, I am also looking into to products that do contain CBD. Here is a list of the ingredients:

Aqua (Water), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice (Organic Aloe), Ricinus Communis Seed Oil (Organic Castor Oil), Theobroma Cacao Seed Butter (Organic Cocoa Butter), Helianthus Annuus Seed Oil (Organic Sunflower Oil), Glycerin (Kosher, Vegetable), Stearic Acid, Glyceryl Stearate, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Cannabis Sativa Seed Oil (Organic Hempseed), Butyrospermum Parkii Butter (Shea Butter), Oenothera Biennis Oil (Organic Evening Primrose), Persea Gratissima Oil (Avocado), Rubus Idaeus Seed Oil (Organic Rosehip), Simmondsia Chinensis Seed Oil (Organic Jojoba), Vitis Vinifera Seed Oil (Grapeseed), Panthenol (Vitamin B5), Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate (Vitamin C), Cannabidiol (CBD), Algae Extract (seaweed keratin), Camellia Oleifera Leaf Extract (Japanese Green Tea), Citrus Limon Fruit Oil (Lemon Essential Oil), Curcuma Longa Rhizome Extract (Organic Turmeric), Centella Asiatica Extract (Organic Gotu Kola), Equisetum Arvense Extract (Horsetail), Glyceryl Stearate Citrate, Sodium Carbomer, Xanthan Gum, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin.

Would this be a restriction product?

Thanks,
-Scott

0 Likes
Tourist
8 0 1

Hi Katy,

Were you able to look into this ingredient list?

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
429 12 39

Hi, Scott!

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you, and thank you for posting the ingredients list here.

I have confirmed for you, that any products containing CBD will not be eligible for use with Shopify payments. Intead for these items you would need to use a third party payment gateway

For the additional items, their ingredients would need to be reviewed by our internal team for use with Shopify Payments. As all accounts and products are subject to manual review at various stages, I'm afraid we can't unfortunately provide information on specific products or ingredients for individual stores until they are added to your Admin and this account is reviewed directly. However you are welcome do this during the 14 day free trial period.

We can do so via your initial ticket number #7589631 too if you like once you have added products to the trial store.

Apologies for any confusion here and let me know if you would like helping adding products and getting this reviewed.

Katy | Shopify | support@shopify.com

Katy | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
3 0 0

Scott find a proccessor yet ? 

0 Likes
4 0 0

Did you  find a processor, or do you know what third-party gateway systems allow for CBD products?

0 Likes
1 0 1

Hello,

I am wondering if Shopify plans to update shopify payments terms of service to reflect the bill that passed Dec 20, 2018.  Below are a few exerpts from the Bill passed into law.  I am interested to find out when shopify will open payment processing back up for Hemp/CBD Enriched Products?

Summary from Hemp Farm Bill 2018

Hemp is now permanently removed from the Controlled Substances Act (CSA). It is forever deemed an agricultural commodity, no longer mistaken as a controlled substance, like marijuana.

Section 297A (p. 429) Defines hemp as all parts of the plant less than 0.3% THC, including“derivatives,” “extracts” and “cannabinoids” and permits hemp production in all states and territories.

By redefining hemp to include its “extracts, cannabinoids and derivatives,” Congress explicitly has removed popular hemp products -- such as hemp-derived cannabidiol (CBD) -- from the purview of the CSA. Accordingly, the Drug Enforcement Administration no longer has any possible claim to interfere with the interstate commerce of hemp products. This should give comfort to federally regulated institutions -- banks, merchant services, credit card companies, e-commerce sites and advertising platforms -- to conduct commerce with the hemp and hemp product industry.

Thank you for any update you may be able to provide.

1 Like
1 0 0

Any updates from Shopify since the new Hemp bill has been released? 

0 Likes