Can I continue my online shop and ship orders during the stay-at-home order period in California?

Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 1

Hello. I have a retail specialty shop and operate both physical storefront and online shop. Under the stay-at-home order by California sate government, all the non-essential businesses were ordered to shut down during the period (starting 3/19), so I had to close my shop entirely until further notice. This means, our online shop is closed, too. However, I see other small retail businesses continue their online shops and ship orders out of their business locations. That means their employee(s) commute and work there. My understanding was you are not allowed to have your employee(s) work at the business location during the stay-at- home order period, so wouldn't it a violation? If I can continue my online shop and have my employees come to work to ship out online orders, I would totally want to do so, by making sure the employees safety. I hear different information/ opinions from different people. So, I am totally confused. If anyone knows the answer, please let me know. Thank you so much.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
9 0 3

Probably most of the stores  you mentioned are dropshipping stores. Dropshipping business don't need their own inventory, with only online stores for the products they sell. Good enough to keep doing their businesses at home. : )

1 Like
Highlighted

As above. As far as I know, as long as you don' leave your 'buble' and avoid interaction with other people in a personal/work sense, then in theory you aren't breaking the law. That's my understanding anyway.

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
39 1 8

Non-essential businesses should not be operating currently. That doesn't necessarily preclude ecommerce businesses from operating. It's possible to fulfill via third-party logistics partners or possibly ship from home. 

There are certainly cases where businesses are operating when they shouldn't be doing so - and there are cases of workers at Amazon fulfillment centers getting covid. 

What would one person be able to do in terms of shipping for you? What sort of cleaning and health safety precautions can you put into place? 

It may be best to work on some alternatives rather than waiting for restrictions to be lifted. It's likely there will be regulations around some of these areas when stay-at-home restrictions are lifted. 

ecomloop
We help uncommon businesses succeed in the digital economy
Have an interesting project? Send a message or visit ecomloop.com
1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 1

Thank you so much for your kind reply, which is very helpful. I was actually meaning those businesses I know were shipping from their own shops, and not drop shipping or using 3rd party logistics. That's why I was confused...

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 1

Thank you!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 1

Thank you so much for your advice. I totally agree with you.

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
39 1 8

It'd be great to hear what you decide to do. Have you turned off ordering capabilities for now? 

ecomloop
We help uncommon businesses succeed in the digital economy
Have an interesting project? Send a message or visit ecomloop.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 1

Thank you again. It's basically just me trying to pack and ship right now...we still take online orders but we just have to slowly catch up to fulfill orders at this moment:-(

0 Likes