Can I make my shop just viewable?

Solved
Highlighted
1 0 0

I need to turn off the ability to purchase items during the current covid-19 pandemic, but want the shop to be still browseable. Is there an easy way of stopping checkout?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3073 231 502

Hi @jed99,

Nick here from Shopify. Great question! 

This is definitely possible. You can pause your store which will reduce your monthly plan cost to $9 per month. It will keep your storefront, admin, and all aspects of your store the same but disable the checkout aspect. 

20-05-5jtag-fqwn6

You can see the help guide Shopify has with all the information about this here. Let me know if you have any other questions about anything

All the best, Nick

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
2163 102 307

For others that want to make thier myshopify store more like a showroom but without losing access to things like the POS, some related customizations:

Hide addToCart buttons https://help.shopify.com/themes/customization/products/add-to-cart/hide-product-prices-or-disable-ca...

Remember to also turn off dynamic payments button

And using pre-orders https://community.shopify.com/c/Shopify-Design/Product-pages-Allow-pre-orders-for-products/td-p/6164...

Problem Solved? ✔️Accept and ? Like the solution so you can help others.
Buy me a coffee ☕ paypal.me/paulnewton or donate to eff.org
Confused? Busy? Buy a custom solution paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
2163 102 307

@Nick what happens currently if a checkout url is hit? Is it just a redirect to the homepage? or setable to say a policy page?

And is this P&B plan doing anything to store data like turning off product.availability, etc? 

Note to self: would quickly disable addtocart buttons but in most cases incorrectly show up as "sold out", without a translation change.

Problem Solved? ✔️Accept and ? Like the solution so you can help others.
Buy me a coffee ☕ paypal.me/paulnewton or donate to eff.org
Confused? Busy? Buy a custom solution paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3073 231 502

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @PaulNewton, great questions. I made a video for you showing what happens when someone clicks on a checkout button when a store is on pause. You can see it here and a screenshot below: 

20-05-lpyv7-t42vt

The Buy Button/checkout link would need an endpoint (ie the checkout), so if that's not available, then the link will open the error page in this case and it wouldn't be possible to point it somewhere else. Everything else about the store will remain the same. 

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like