Gift Card Support Is Now Available on All Plans to Help Small Businesses

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager
403 18 385

@aj007 wrote:

Hi @TyW.  I appreciate Shopify's gesture here, but it opens up various other concerns...

• As others have asked, how long is "indefinitely" in "We’ve enabled the gift cards feature on all Shopify plans indefinitely" ? Will vendors on Shopify Basic who take advantage of this someday find gift cards are (again) not available on their Basic plan?
  • Shopify's own help docs note that "it is illegal in some countries for gift cards to expire." So vendors offering them can potentially amass an unending liability to gift card purchasers for any unused balances, right?
  • What is the Shopify mechanism to unwind liability for unused gift card balances? (e.g. if Shopify starts charging for gift cards on Basic tiers, or a vendor simply chooses to close-up shop, etc.) Would the shop owner offer a refund to the original purchaser (assuming they could contact them anymore)? Note this could be years after the gift purchase given the "no expiry" point above.
  • I also note there's an outstanding problem regarding when VAT is charged to a customer/paid by a vendor on gift cards in the European Union. From the latest comments it seems Shopify still offers no workable tax-compliant solution to European merchants.

Looking forward to Shopify's advice on these questions. Thanks.

Hi @aj007, thanks for your questions! 

• how long is "indefinitely > All gift cards sold during this period will continue to be accepted as payment, when and if the feature ends. If any information related to this gift cards feature is shared in the future it’ll be on our blog so I’d recommend subscribing if you haven't already.

• unending liability to gift card purchasers for any unused balances > I can that all gift cards sold during this period will continue to be accepted as payment, when and if the feature ends.

• mechanism to unwind liability for unused gift card balances? > This is a unfortunate scenario but shop owner would need to determine how they plan to handle this situation as part of their closure.

• VAT is charged to a customer/paid by a vendor on gift cards in the European Union > Thanks! I can confirm that my colleague has been capturing and sharing feedback from that topic internally. If you haven't already consider subscribing to that topic by clicking on the Options button along the top followed by Subscribe so you'll be informed whenever there is new activity. 

TyW | Community Manager @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
5 0 3

Hi everybody!

I'm from Rise.ai, an advanced gift card and loyalty program provider here on Shopify.

We are thrilled to see that during these times, businesses everywhere (including Shopify) are stepping up to help merchants get through these times.

We know that Gift Cards are extremely helpful for small businesses, especially now, and considering we provide gift card and loyalty services, we would like to help out as much as we can.

That is why we are offering an all-new FREE plan that includes creating gift cards and issuing store credit (for returns or any other purpose). With this plan, you can manage your gift cards in our dashboard and easily handle returns or refunds. You can also create a discounted gift card that will encourage your customers even more to purchase them! You can sign up here.

This plan also provides you with a spot in our gift card directory - a page that was created for customers to find gift cards that may interest them, helping you promote your gift card product and expose it to more customers! You can add your brand to the directory here.

Rise also provides advanced gift cards that create a personalized and special experience for your customers. They allow customers to write a personal message, send on a later date, and are beautifully designed and branded. This is great to boost the customer's and the receiver's spirit (as well as yours).

We would love to talk to you and hear more about how COVID-19 has affected you and how we can help!

Please don't hesitate to reach out and contact us at info@rise.ai

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi all,

Thanks much for Shopify for making gift cards available on all store plans! We have put together a few tips on how to use gift cards as cash flow help during these difficult times.

Hope it helps,

Tom

#StaySafeStayHome #GoodLuck

1 Like
Highlighted
Highlighted
2 0 0

Would we also have access to the gift card api in the basic plan?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager
403 18 385

@MCL8 wrote:

Hi @MCL8, the gift card API is not included in the basic plan; it's available to stores on the Plus plan only. 

TyW | Community Manager @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0
@TyW wrote:

@MCL8 wrote:

Hi @MCL8, the gift card API is not included in the basic plan; it's available to stores on the Plus plan only. 

Oh, ok.   So even the $79 plan that comes with Gift Card feature doesn't include api access.  That's a bummer. 

0 Likes