Gift Card Support Is Now Available on All Plans to Help Small Businesses

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager
479 27 591

Cross-posted from the Shopify Blog

Blog_Hero_Image_GIFT.jpg

Small businesses are often hit the hardest during times of uncertainty. As the COVID-19 pandemic compels people to engage in social distancing to safeguard our communities, an unfortunate side effect is that many businesses are left in a difficult position. Declines in foot traffic and mounting expenses weigh heavily on business owners and staff.

Shopify is steadfast in our support of small businesses during these challenging times, and we're actively looking for ways we can alleviate this pressure.

To start, we're enabling our gift cards feature on all Shopify plans indefinitely to give communities another way to support small businesses.

Learn more at the Shopify Blog - Gift Card Support Is Now Available on All Plans to Help Small Businesses

TyW | Community Manager @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

4 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 3
How long will the gift card offer on all plans be available for? What happens when you take it away again for lower tier plans?
3 Likes
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager
479 27 591

@GarringtonIllu wrote:
How long will the gift card offer on all plans be available for? What happens when you take it away again for lower tier plans?

Hi @GarringtonIllu 

We’ve enabled the gift cards feature on all Shopify plans indefinitely.

If any information related to this gift cards feature is shared in the future it’ll be on our blog so I’d recommend subscribing if you haven't already.

I will also share any new details in the community as well of course. Thanks!

4 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
56 1 10

Thank you! I am setting this up now on all the shops I manage.

Next, I will move on to the clients who already have the gift card... Should I just downgrade for the shops that currently have the $79/month plan because of the gift card? I am assuming the gift card will remain set-up and functioning as before?

Thanks again!

Nik

http://www.stewartstand.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Thank you for this good initiative! Indefinitely would probably mean a longer-term period? We're concerned what would happen if the gift card portion is taken away from the basic plan - like would customer still be able to use their gift cards etc :)

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
56 1 10

Update for accounts who currently have the $79/month or more robust plans... I was successful in downgrading to the $29/month plan. All the gift card dat remained perfectly. No troubleshooting or re-setup. 

Thank you Shopify! :)

http://www.stewartstand.com
1 Like
Highlighted
1 0 0

hi everyone,

So I'm new to this gift card thing now.  I have just added it to my online shop.  What I would like to know is, if someone purchasing a voucher, will this be send to them in an email form to pass on the voucher? If not will I then send a Voucher via the post?  How would you control the use as an online payment.

Sorry for the silly questions. Just not sure.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
27 0 35

Hi @TyW.  I appreciate Shopify's gesture here, but it opens up various other concerns...

• As others have asked, how long is "indefinitely" in "We’ve enabled the gift cards feature on all Shopify plans indefinitely" ? Will vendors on Shopify Basic who take advantage of this someday find gift cards are (again) not available on their Basic plan?
  • Shopify's own help docs note that "it is illegal in some countries for gift cards to expire." So vendors offering them can potentially amass an unending liability to gift card purchasers for any unused balances, right?
  • What is the Shopify mechanism to unwind liability for unused gift card balances? (e.g. if Shopify starts charging for gift cards on Basic tiers, or a vendor simply chooses to close-up shop, etc.) Would the shop owner offer a refund to the original purchaser (assuming they could contact them anymore)? Note this could be years after the gift purchase given the "no expiry" point above.
  • I also note there's an outstanding problem regarding when VAT is charged to a customer/paid by a vendor on gift cards in the European Union. From the latest comments it seems Shopify still offers no workable tax-compliant solution to European merchants.

Looking forward to Shopify's advice on these questions. Thanks.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager
479 27 591

@Cherie_L wrote:

Thank you for this good initiative! Indefinitely would probably mean a longer-term period? We're concerned what would happen if the gift card portion is taken away from the basic plan - like would customer still be able to use their gift cards etc :)

Hi @Cherie_L, thanks for posting! 

I can confirm that all gift cards sold during this period will continue to be accepted as payment, when and if the feature ends.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager
479 27 591

@MelDC wrote:

So I'm new to this gift card thing now.  I have just added it to my online shop.  What I would like to know is, if someone purchasing a voucher, will this be send to them in an email form to pass on the voucher? If not will I then send a Voucher via the post?  How would you control the use as an online payment.

Hi @MelDC! The gift card voucher will be sent via email 

For detail on the process check out this section of the Shopify Help Center > Issuing free gift cards. Thanks! 

0 Likes