SEO Question During This Time

Solved
Highlighted
Excursionist
19 0 4

Hello,

Hope everyone is keeping their sanity in these crazy times:)

I started my store www.bedlam.store around 2 months ago and have employed someone to do the SEO on a monthly retainer.

Since all our production is shut, and we are not accepting new orders, I was confused about my SEO strategy. Should I keep getting it done or wait for things to settle down? If we are driving traffic through Ads etc, then there is no point as we cannot ship. But My SEO guy is saying I should continue to maintain my ranks.

Any tips on strategy? 

Thank you

Highlighted

This is an accepted solution.

Hello!

Your SEO guy is correct, especially if you're early in your efforts - and 2 months is very early in terms of SEO.

SEO is a long-term strategy; unlike advertising, there is a significant lag time between effort & outcome.

Building your rankings - especially in the beginning - needs consistent and sustained effort. Interrupting it will significantly diminish the impact of the work that has already been done.

If you can afford it, keep the work going. Even a reduced effort will be beneficial.

In terms of strategy, and you probably know this, there are two components - 'on page' and 'off page'. The 'on page' component is what you do with your store: your product descriptions, other content such as your Journal, optimizations such as including alt-image descriptions, maximizing page speed, etc.

The 'off page' component is essentially link-building. Today, link building is a much more precarious practice. Not only are many links useless in terms of rank-building, but many are or can be detrimental.

If your SEO guy is decent, he'll be keeping himself current on SEO best practices.

Best of luck!

Want to boost your traffic, sales, and profits? Analogy Marketing is a Shopify Partner Ecommerce Marketing Agency focused exclusively on boosting traffic, sales, and conversions for Shopify stores through expert CRO, SEO, Social Media, Affiliate Marketing, and Advertising. Ecommerce results; guaranteed. https://AnalogyMarketing.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
19 0 4

Thank You so much.

He sent me a monthly report and it had a lot of link submissions. Is that not a good practice? Attaching a screenshot.

Screenshot 2020-03-25 at 11.56.54 AM.png

0 Likes
Highlighted

This is an accepted solution.

Is it a good thing? The answer is a qualified "yes".

Banklinks are crucial; they are the primary determinant for ranking.

However, all links are not created equal. There are a few different properties of every backlink: the domain and page it's on, the "anchor text" (the part of the link that's visible & clickable), whether it's designated "follow" or "no-follow", whether it's an 'editorial' link (a link within the content on the page) or a 'comment' link or paid/ad link.

Generally, the higher the quality of the site, the better the link; editorial links are better than comment links, etc.

'Quality' backlinks help your ranking, but the inverse is also true: 'bad' links can hurt your ranking. And the ratio - your "link profile" - is also taken into account: number of quality links to 'bad' links, distribution of anchor text e.g. how many are 'bare', how many use a particular keyword, etc.

I didn't analyze all the links you posted, but I did eyeball it. Most look like decent links, but some are what we fondly refer to as 'crap' links that don't do anything for your ranking.

To summarize... backlinks are crucial. Not all links are of equal value. Good links help, bad links don't help and could hurt. The links you posted, on balance, seem worthwhile.

Want to boost your traffic, sales, and profits? Analogy Marketing is a Shopify Partner Ecommerce Marketing Agency focused exclusively on boosting traffic, sales, and conversions for Shopify stores through expert CRO, SEO, Social Media, Affiliate Marketing, and Advertising. Ecommerce results; guaranteed. https://AnalogyMarketing.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
19 0 4

Thank you for such a detailed reply and the great tips. And looking through the links. I feel more centred now and will continue on the plan :) All the best and stay safe!