What to do while pausing your store

Highlighted

Hi all,

Many people choose to pause their stores as a way to reduce costs. Pausing your store means disabling checkout.  This allows people to maintain their store with a monthly charge of $14. 

Today, I made this post to share the things I've learned about pausing store, maybe this can be helpful for those who've been considering this option during COVID.

1. How to pause your store

Go to your Shopify Admin > Settings > General > Plan and permissions > Store Status 

04_21-01.png

2. What happens when you pause your store?

Store visitors can still view your products but won't be able to buy them (checkout)

04:21-02.png

When checking out, customers will be directed to an error page.04:21-03.png

3. What to do while pausing your store?

Leading customers to an error page are the last thing you should do if you have any intention to come back in the future. This ruins your store CX.

So basically, what are the things you can do and should do to maintain the hard-earned relationship with customers?

Hide product price / add to cart button

This is like a temporary workaround while there's yet to be any solution. Without a price or without an add to cart button, customers can not initiate the checkout process. 

Ideally, hiding price/add to cart button should be accompanied by a clear message to keep people informed about your store status.

Shopify provides clear tutorials about these tactics:

Tips: For stores with more than 1 buttons (Debut theme is an example), the code for the buttons can usually find next to each other in the product-template.liquid file.04:21-04.png

04:21-05.png

Don't forget to include a message informing people about what's going on and when you comeback.04:21-06.png

Enable a password page

A password page, aka a coming soon page, keeps all traffic to your store focus on only 1 page and delivers the message better.04:21-08.png

How to view your password page?

A password page is only visible when you enable a password.

To enable password, from your Shopify Admin, go to Online Store > Preference > Password Protection.

04:21-07.png

To edit the password page, from your Shopify Admin > Online Store > Theme > Customize04:21-09.png

What to include in the password page

A password page should tell more than just the "Coming Soon" message. This is especially important when you have a decent number of existing visitors.

• Talk to customers: Tell them why you are not available
  • Allow your customers to respond: Many stores would add a signup-form, which is a traditionally good idea. But based on what you need, consider replacing this with other types of forms, such as "leave a message".
  • Provide necessary information: For pre-launch stores, that is your launch date and promotion details, for paused stores, make it clear about when you come back and probably your plan in the future.
  •  Connect with other channels: Are you available on any other networks (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)? Add a quick link or button that allows people to quickly reach out to those networks.

Does anyone have any other ideas related to pausing stores? I'd like to hear from others also :)

PageFly - Advanced Shopify Page Builder.
- Use the Christmas template to skyrocket your sales.
- PageFly Page Builder: Website | Facebook | LinkedIn | Group | Youtube
- [Tutorial] Get more tips on using PageFly to soar sales this season
Highlighted
8 0 0

What happens if I pause and resume my store during trial? Am I still on a trial after I get back?

0 Likes
Highlighted

It depends on how many trial days left you have. In general, pausing stores won't pause your trial.

For example, if you have 10 trial days left, then you pause your store for 7 days, then when you come back, you have 3 trial days left.

PageFly - Advanced Shopify Page Builder.
- Use the Christmas template to skyrocket your sales.
- PageFly Page Builder: Website | Facebook | LinkedIn | Group | Youtube
- [Tutorial] Get more tips on using PageFly to soar sales this season
0 Likes