0.4% CTR on Ads. 0% Conversions. 0 Sales. Need Help.

Dylan_Foster
Tourist
12 0 1

Just launched my first website - Totes for Planet Earth

Spent a sleepless week building the site and am quite proud of it being my first one, and having only one product (Well 50ish variations of the same product)

I get about only ~15-20 unique visits a day. Despite my $20 a day ad budget, split between Facebook and Adwords.

I've tried advertising to different demographics. Different keywords. Different delivery methods (Search, Display, Search and Display/Image ads, text ads) Different ad copies. Nothing is working.

Out of about <5k impressions total so far on FB, I have maybe 20 total CT's. Same thing literally on Adwords, ~<5k impressions, less than 20 CT's. Its putting me at about 0.4% CTR. Not even a half of a single percent. Despite all my efforts to figure out why.

TLDR I'm burning a hole in my pocket. I haven't made a single sale, get less than 2-3k impressions a day with a sub 0.5% CTR even with a 20$/day budget.

I don't know what to do.

0 Likes
Abith
Shopify Partner
11 0 2

Hey Dylan,

Your website look really nice!

I might be able to help you with adwords.

Just signup here, so that we can chat further.

https://goo.gl/hN5Yej 

AdWords Expert - Google Partner - Get a Free AdWords Audit: www.ppctheory.com

Hi Dylan:

Getting only 15-20 visitors per day with a budget of $20 is a really bad situation, what is the CPC that you set for your campaign/keywords? You should control also what strategy of bidding you have set on your campaigns (max clicks, max impressions, max conversions...)

We are professional Adwords team (Premier Google Partners) that has already helped more than 10.000 Shopify store owners. We can help you with your campaigns! ;)

Check our app: 

Shopify App Professional Adwords Campaigns: https://apps.shopify.com/cleverppc

Shopify SEO Guide: https://www.cleverecommerce.com/shopify-seo-guide/

0 Likes
Shopili_com
Tourist
42 0 1

Hi Dylan,

Something sounds very wrong with your CTR and budgets. We can take a look over it if you like as an Adwords consultant, email hello@shopili.com for more help.

Thanks

Jo

shopili.com

http://shopili.com Verified Shopify Experts
0 Likes
Akanksha
Excursionist
42 0 6

Hey Dylan, 

Congratulations on starting your store. That’s a great step :) I read your story and wow, what a good cause!

Since you’ve just started, I’d suggest start with Brand Awareness as your campaign objective. In Brand Awareness, Facebook shows your ad to people who are most likely to respond to your ad. If you decide to try awareness as objective, run the ad for at least a few days. This gives Facebook also time to assess which audience is working. Your story is so unique, it can be a nice story to spread the word about your brand. You can write a blog article with a catchy title and promote that article. 

Low CTR mostly indicates a low interest from the target audience. Something is clearly not clicking. It could be your copy or creative. It’s possible that your audience doesn’t relate to your cause much. Can you share the design that you’ve been using and a little bit about who you’re targeting. 

When you’re just starting out, it’s actually good to have a low budget. Once you’ve identified which audience works and what they like to see, you can then start putting in more money. 

Actually, anyone who is interested in saving environment is a good fit for you. Demography might not play a significant role. But interest most definitely will. 

Remember one thing while running ads, the most important thing is to get the audience right. If your audience is right, only then will you see some conversions. Without the right audience, you can have the prettiest creative with the best copy and you’ll still see low conversions. 

There are three ways of defining / getting audience - customize, share, retarget. 

In customize, you create an audience based on demography, interest, location, etc. This is what you’re doing. I think this is the toughest to get right. Your niche has to be extremely specific and defined for this. 

The second one is sharing audience. Works really well. For this all you need to do is find partners who are selling complimentary items and establish a good enough relation for them to share their Facebook audience. Although it works, finding such partners and working on this collaboration can take a lot of time. For our Ads, we are doing this, but it needs dedicated effort and energy. 

The third and I think the best for you in long term is retargeting. This takes effort as well, but the effort is mostly towards driving traffic organically to your website. You need to place a Facebook pixel on your website and then you can run ads specifically for people who visit your website. The best part is that these people have a context. These ads have better conversions.

To drive traffic to your website, try OrangeTwig. With OrangeTwig, you’ll be able to promote your products and other types of engagement builders (A/B, tag a friend, quotes, etc) in professional designs with just a few clicks. 

Here’s what I am talking about: 

As far as the ease of growing following is concerned, Instagram is leading the way. All you need to do is post beautiful content and include right hashtags in your post text. OrangeTwig’s hashtag research tool will be perfect for this. Learn more about the hashtag research tool here. 

Another thing that I feel really helps get traffic is posting different types of content. Here’s an article that’ll help you with ideas. 

With OrangeTwig’s upcoming feature Q-rator, you’ll be able to post   content from around the web on social channels with just a few clicks. Learn more about Q-rator here

https://goo.gl/iyAqha
0 Likes
Mike_Yang
Tourist
26 0 2

Hi Dylan,

Nice website and great products! I'm sure that your totes will attract a lot of customers eventually. It's very thoughtful that you have care instructions as well. With that being said, I have some recommendations. First, writing a blog is very helpful for driving traffic, and it's perfect that you could write blogs about environmental issues. I don't see product reviews and I think it's a good feature for you. Around 88% of customers trust product reviews as much as personal recommendations, so letting family and friends to try your products and write reviews are a good start. Now I see that you have 11 followers on Facebook. HERE are some tips you could promote your Facebook Page for free before doing paid ads. As for paid advertising, Facebook Blueprint offers free courses you could take. Also, check out Pollen, which builds sets of target audience for you and automates the advertising process on Facebook to save you time and money. Hope this helps and good luck with your business!

Best,
Mike

0 Likes
Dylan_Foster
Tourist
12 0 1

Thank you Mike for being the only one who wasn't trying to sell me something! I'm going to start working on building my social media following now that the site is finished, but the ads are still really worrying me. The social media isn't going to drive a lot of traffic right away like I thought an ad would.

I just cannot comprehend why I'm getting such low CTR's and still have not made a single sale after spending close to 50$ in ads over the past few days.

On both Facebook and Adwords I tried targeting different groups, different keywords, different times of day, different ages, everything I could think of. I even set all my adwords bids to the first page bid for each keyword.

I'm totally at a loss.

0 Likes
Mike_Yang
Tourist
26 0 2

I wouldn’t be discouraged by social media itself but encouraged that you still have quite a few outlets for testing to find the mix that will produce sales for your store. Advertising campaigns do take time to hit their stride. When you are running multiple campaigns, it’s essential to optimize them for elements like user demographics, creative, copy and placement, all of which can take weeks or even months to figure out the highest ROI producing segments. Also, are you running retargeting campaigns or just prospecting ads? Retargeting is a great way to convert site visitors into purchases.

If you’d like, feel free to send me your creative (myang@poln.co) because the quality of your ads play a HUGE role in your CTR and efficacy of your campaign. I’ll happily give them a look and see if I have any feedback that will improve the performance of your campaign. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help or if you’d like to jump on the phone with someone on my team, feel free to book a time directly here https://calendly.com/evandouaihy.

Best,
Mike

0 Likes
Akanksha
Excursionist
42 0 6

Hey Dylan, 

Congratulations on starting your store. That’s a great step :) I read your story and wow, what a good cause!

Since you’ve just started, I’d suggest start with Brand Awareness as your campaign objective. In Brand Awareness, Facebook shows your ad to people who are most likely to respond to your ad. If you decide to try awareness as objective, run the ad for at least a few days. This gives Facebook also time to assess which audience is working. Your story is so unique, it can be a nice story to spread the word about your brand. You can write a blog article with a catchy title and promote that article. 

Low CTR mostly indicates a low interest from the target audience. Something is clearly not clicking. It could be your copy or creative. It’s possible that your audience doesn’t relate to your cause much. Can you share the design that you’ve been using and a little bit about who you’re targeting. 

When you’re just starting out, it’s actually good to have a low budget. Once you’ve identified which audience works and what they like to see, you can then start putting in more money. 

Actually, anyone who is interested in saving environment is a good fit for you. Demography might not play a significant role. But interest most definitely will. 

Remember one thing while running ads, the most important thing is to get the audience right. If your audience is right, only then will you see some conversions. Without the right audience, you can have the prettiest creative with the best copy and you’ll still see low conversions. 

There are three ways of defining / getting audience - customize, share, retarget. 

In customize, you create an audience based on demography, interest, location, etc. This is what you’re doing. I think this is the toughest to get right. Your niche has to be extremely specific and defined for this. 

The second one is sharing audience. Works really well. For this all you need to do is find partners who are selling complimentary items and establish a good enough relation for them to share their Facebook audience. Although it works, finding such partners and working on this collaboration can take a lot of time. For our Ads, we are doing this, but it needs dedicated effort and energy. 

The third and I think the best for you in long term is retargeting. This takes effort as well, but the effort is mostly towards driving traffic organically to your website. You need to place a Facebook pixel on your website and then you can run ads specifically for people who visit your website. The best part is that these people have a context. These ads have better conversions.

To drive traffic to your website, try OrangeTwig. With OrangeTwig, you’ll be able to promote your products and other types of engagement builders (A/B, tag a friend, quotes, etc) in professional designs with just a few clicks. 

Here’s what I am talking about: 

As far as the ease of growing following is concerned, Instagram is leading the way. All you need to do is post beautiful content and include right hashtags in your post text. OrangeTwig’s hashtag research tool will be perfect for this. Learn more about the hashtag research tool here. 

Another thing that I feel really helps get traffic is posting different types of content. Here’s an article that’ll help you with ideas. 

With OrangeTwig’s upcoming feature Q-rator, you’ll be able to post   content from around the web on social channels with just a few clicks. Learn more about Q-rator here

I hope this helps you.  Good luck!

Akanksha 

https://goo.gl/iyAqha
0 Likes
Katy_Simons
Tourist
12 0 2

Hey Dylan,

Your quality score on adwords campaigns might be low. It will dramatically deccrease CTR & increase CPC.

You can follow some tips to increase quality score.

1. Add negative keywords
  2. Avoid using broad match terms.
  3. Use relevant ad copies with regards to keywords.

Hope that helps!

Account Coordinator @ ppctheory.com.
0 Likes