3 million 404s!

Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 1

Hi we have recently migrated over from Magento to Shopify and in the process managed to accumulate over 3 million 404 pages. 2 things weren't executed properly by our dev team, 1 the noindex follow rule wasn't implemented correctly and another is the new sitemap wasn't processed by Google for 14 days (it was submitted the day after launch) Could either of these things be the reason for the large number of 404 pages? Any helped appreciated! 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3392 252 610

Hi RJF, 

Nick here from Shopify. 

Have you reached out or spoken to the dev team who assisted you in moving platform to Shopify yet about this? This could have happened for a multitude of different reasons and without any more information. If you could respond in a reply and give as much information about it that you can to help anyone who reads your post a better idea of how this might have happened it would be hugely beneficial. 

As a first next step though I would recommend having a meeting with the dev team who assisted you in the move to take a look, understand what happened and ensure there is a plan in place to resolve things. 

Something which is helpful in the grand scheme of things is a great blog post from a top Shopify Expert about how to fix a 404 page with redirects. Should you get to a place where you can craft a fun 404 page, there is a great blog post from the content team at Shopify with some great examples of inspiration here

All the best, Nick

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 1

Hi Nick thank you for your help, we have one dev company we worked with who did the migration and another dev company who did the 301s and manage seo who used to manage our old site, so at present they are blaming each other. At the moment I can't see any other reasons as to why we would have this large number of 404s, we did create over 3,000 301s but apart from the sitemap and noindex i can't think of anything else thats the cause

0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3392 252 610

Hi RJF, 

I see that is quite the predicament. As I said in my first response above, there could be many different reasons as to why or how this happened, without any more information provided. If neither of the teams who helped you can find a way to figure out what exactly happened and how to make it better, your best bet might be to reach out to a Shopify Expert for help. You can see the Shopify Expert directory from the link here

I know this answer might not necessarily help the wider community here but it definitely seems like someone needs to investigate this deeper. 

All the best, Nick

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 1

Ok thank you Nick, i think the Shopify expert route is the best option. Thank you again