6 months old website and still very little traffic, need help.

5 0 0

I have opened a website in October selling wedding invitations.  I thought I had figured the seo and design but I was wrong.  I have reworked the design of the website to be more SEO friendly for google search.  Since doing so just over 1 month ago I have noticed the impressions and CTR has doubled from what it was. I know I have some more work to do which I am willing to do.

I have done the following so far: 

• Each page will have a seperate long tail keyword phrase.
  • The homepage has a desktop speed score of 89% and the mobile speed score is 66% so I have some work there to do.
  • The website loads within 2 seconds.
  • All images have different title than the page title.

I will be starting a facebook ad listings next week to help with the brand awareness. 

Any advice would be so much appreciated.   

Thanks, Jacqueline

www.timelessweddinginvitations.ca

0 Likes
17 0 0

Are you running adwords?

With an offer so specific, you'd highly benefit from adwords.

Google adwords allows you to run ads on specific google searches.

I would start there to drive relevant traffic to the site.. You can use Facebook ads for retargeting but adwords will have a higher probability of success given how specific your site/product is.

0 Likes
5 0 0

No I haven't tried adwords yet.  Thanks for the advice maybe I will do that instead of facebook ads.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
15 0 1

Hi Jacqueline,

You are definitely starting out on the right foot by reworking your site for maximum optimization. It is important to experiment with different layouts and approaches to your website in order to make it as appealing as possible for potential customers. While site speed and loading speed are important for making sales, don’t make the mistake of ignoring what got your customers to your site in the first place: your ads. Facebook ads can be one of your biggest assets when it comes to marketing endeavors - if you go about it correctly.

Here are some reasons your business can benefit from using Facebook ads:

• Generates brand awareness- In your post, you mentioned using Facebook ads as a way to boost your brand awareness. You’re right, advertising on FB is one of the best ways to create visibility for your brand. Many consumers turn to Facebook when looking to discover new brands. There are over 2 billion users on FB who generate 22 billion ad clicks every year. For this reason alone, using FB ads to create brand awareness is an absolute no- brainer!  

• Advanced Targeting- Facebook allows you to advertise in many different ways. Choose the medium that best fits your audience for maximum results - video ads, offer ads, lead ads, etc. Facebook ads allow you to target your audience by things like age, gender, and location. Using these powerful data analytics, FB can also create lookalike audiences for your brand to help you market effectively to new customers.

• Saves you time and money- As an ecommerce shop owner, you should always be looking for the best way to cut back on time and costs. With Facebook, you don’t have to spend a lot of money to create effective ads for your brand. In fact, you can get started with FB ads for as little as $1-5 a day! If you’d like to really expedite the process and make sure everything runs smoothly, I’d like to recommend one of Shopify’s awesome machine learning apps called Pollen (https://apps.shopify.com/poln) to help you along the way. This app enables you to acquire customers on Facebook and across the web simply and cost effectively. Through powerful automation, Pollen offers an easy-to-use marketing platform that’s sole expertise is in driving sales. It takes as little as 2 minutes to set up a campaign. Pollen takes care of the rest. It’s as simple as that!

Hopefully this helps you out! All the best to you and your shop!   

0 Likes
Tourist
9 0 0

Google ads are great if you do them right. What have you tried so far?

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
99 0 1

Amazing site! Love those wedding invitations.

Are you running Facebook ads? Might be a smart move for ya. Cheap and they convert big time!

If so, I'd recommend your ads show lifestyle shots that show the product front and center

And once your customers are more familiar, you can retarget them with a kind of aesthetic and eye catching ad to remind them of the brand they love (and push them down the funnel).

We were just blogging about this, fyi: https://bit.ly/2HPm4bc

Happy selling!

Kevin Simonson is the CEO of Metric Digital, a performance marketing agency in New York City that focuses on driving revenue and customers through for ecommerce business via online advertising, email and other digital marketing channels.
0 Likes
5 0 0

Thanks all for your feedback and comments.  I had to take a little break for a few weeks since we welcome our 2nd child to our family.  All is well and now I am getting back into working on my store.

I have updated my product pictures, which I now love and hoping customers will too.

I have started advertising on Facebook but no sales yet.

I will be setting up Google adwords, Pinterest, Instagram and Linkin accounts this month.

As I am not an expert at marketing so I might hire someone to improve my SEO and marketing campaigns.

Jacqueline Walker

0 Likes
Excursionist
87 0 4

Hi  Jacqueline

I think if you're advertising on facebook, a fb messenger ap is a must have. The reason is that you can collect their facebook details and resend them details of your product line and any new lines you have. 

I accept that this won't increase traffic to your site but it could help converting the visitors you do have. The main reason is that the delivery is quick, and casual with open rates, second only to text at around 80%.

Maybe worth looking at.

lawriesheridan101@gmail.com
0 Likes
Shopify Partner
18 0 2

Selling wedding invitations is a great niche! One thing to consider is that people who are having a wedding do their research on every item they purchase. They look at a bunch of different sites to compare pricing, styles, availability, and other factors. So many potential customers will come to your site to compare you to your competitors. They come back to your site many times. 

A great way to keep in these customers minds is with retargeting. Retargeting through social media is perfect for your product. People who are planning a wedding are always on Pinterest, Instagram, and Facebook to see ideas they can use. Retargeting will help them not forget about your brand and what they looked at before. 

Great job with focusing on SEO that is a very important factor when it comes to digital marketing. Make sure you improve your mobile score. It seems like you've already got an understanding of this. But I just wanted to emphasize that phones are becoming very important for SEO. 

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
131 0 12

6 months is a decent time to build up your traffic.

There are many different strategies to drive traffic to a blog or website. One that I prefer is by focusing on keywords to get traffic from search engine. By doing so, you can attract the right kind of traffic. And even better, the kind that can become paying customers.

It is kind of an "everyones say" things but I really realize it when I try my first blog post, then 3 - 4 months later I see that a lot of my traffic from search engine come to that blog post everyday. I know that I need to invest in writing blog. Now I got about 200 - 300 traffic per day and increase 30% every month. About 45% of that come to product page, I know it is not much but it help save my cost for advertising

Here is my step, you can copy, or comment if feel anything not right so we can improve:

Step 1: Prepare a good converting blog

Believe me, even when you get traffic, you can get tired so soon if you do not get sales. My suggestion is that you can insert internal link to blog page to turn your traffic into sales. There are some Shopify blog template that support you to do so. You can put the product in popup, in side banner or right inside the blog post. To my opinion, the product link that lies inside the blog post is the best converter, as it is related to blog content

---

Step 2: Choose keywords for your blog post

Try insert your product on google keyword planner, you would find some “very large” keyword (For example: “Shopify theme”, you may find some other query like “free shopify theme", or “best shopify theme"). Then put those “large keyword” into Ahref, you would find some other smaller, niche keyword). Try targeting those keyword that is less competitive & has high search volume (above 90 - 100 would be ok to start)

---

Step 2: Write blog with targeted keyword.

Try to include your keyword into Title, Meta description, Heading, at least 1 in each paragraph. Use SEOquake add-on to re-check, the density of the main keyword of about 2.6 is ok. Here is my tips to not spam keyword but also repeat it multiple time: Write a top-list blog. For example: You selling clothing and write about "best item for 2018 winter". Then include it in the title:

Best item for 2018 winter #1: ....

Best item for 2018 winter #2: ....

Best item for 2018 winter #3: ....

And so on...

---

Step 3: Optimize on-site

Remember some steps to optimize the site performance:

• Optimize images with tinypng.com, large image may lower your site loading speed

• Include internal linking so the visitor may remain on your site longer.

• Mention your product on the blog, you do not just need traffic. Those traffic need to be turned into sales

Please read: 5 best Shopify blog template that turns traffic into sales

---

Step 4: Submit your blog in Google Search Console

A lot of marketer forget this step. Google bot may crawl your blog post longer if you do so.

My experience is that if you do it all from step 1 to step 4, your blog post may appear on page #3 of google search result page.

---

Step 5: Backlink

You would need traffic to get your site from page #3 to page #1. Backlink is one of the way

do not spam backlink in massive, massive of forum & website, but choose choose site with high Domain Authority. Check Moz to learn more about Domain Authority. Some example of high DA site:

• Quora

• Reddit

• Facebook group

---

Step 6. Advertising

SEM, PPC, Adword & Facebook ad help you bring traffic to site, the more active (have traffic) your site is, the higher rank it has on google. I use paid traffic to actually increase Google rank

Download free Shopify theme: https://www.sellersmith.com/pages/sellersmith-free-themes
0 Likes