Adding ALT TEXT to my product shots to increase searchability on PINTEREST.

Gabriel_Russell
4 0 0

hELLO,

I am considering adding ALT TEXT to all my shop's product shots to help with SEO and searchability on pinterest. 

Before adding them I want to find out what Google's rules are on ALT TEXT as i don't want to do anything that could badly effect how google rate the site. 

Is it bad practice to use the same text on multiple images?

If so is it enough to add 1, 2, 3, 4 etc to the end of the text?

Should the text be in sentences or can i simply use some keywords? I am aware that one of the main purposes of this text is to provide a description of the images for visually impaired vistitors but how strictly do google like this to be adhered to? 

Is there an optimum word count i should stick to?

Thank you for reading! Any advice very much appreciated!

Gabriel

0 Likes
Ahmad_Kanani
Shopify Partner
50 0 13

Hello Gabriel,

When using Alt text, stick to Google's guidelines and describe the image clearly in a few words. 

It's not a good idea to repeat the exact same keywords in all images and add a number sequence, Google won't be gamed into beleiving they are different. Think how your images are different and reflect these in your Alt tags. i.e. use synonyms, describe different angles, colours, close up of a part of your product, or product shown in context in a lifestyle image.

Do not keyword stuff the Alt tag, the first instance of a keyword is sufficient for both Google and Pinterest to figure out what the image is about. 

Think of this, if you can explain your Alt tags to a Google employee in real life, then they're good to go.

Regarding word count, if it's not an image of a quote or there's a sentence in the image you'd like to include in the Alt tag, max 6 to 9 words should be sufficient to describe the image.

It's better to be a sentence or at least look natural. Again, if you can't justify what you put in there to a human, then don't do it as G's algorithms will eventually catch that.

Any further questions please feel free to ask.

- Ahmad

Certified E-Commerce Optimisation and Analytics Expert
0 Likes
SpurIT1
Shopify Partner
107 0 4

Hey Gabriel,

According to Google: In situations where the image is not available to the reader, perhaps because they have turned off images in their web browser or are using a screen reader due to a visual impairment, the alternative text ensures that no information or functionality is lost.

Be sure to add alt texts. Make sure the alt text includes the SEO keyword for that page and relates to / describes the image.

In order to speed up the process I suggest you to try our new free app:

• SEO Photo Optimizer. Totally Free All-in-one Image Optimization App: compress and resize product images, set up SEO-friendly Alt tags.

eCommerce Solutions Developer
0 Likes
Gabriel_Russell
4 0 0

Thank you very much Ahmad, thats really helpful! Wow 6-9 words isn't much is it.

I read somewhere that google ignores anything after 16 words. 

Is there any benefit to including our website address in the alt text of every image? I was wondering if this would be helpful when teh alt text eventually appears as the description under the image when it is pinned on pinterest. 

This is an example of what i am planning to use 

COUCHUK UV reactive Clubbercise Activewear. Multi Splat Racer Back Vest back view. 3 www.couchuk.com

Thank you for you advice. 

0 Likes
Ahmad_Kanani
Shopify Partner
50 0 13

You're welcome,

When someone pins an image from your website to one of their boards on Pinterest, the image will automatically be linked back to your website. I don't see a huge benefit in including your brand name in all of your Alt tags, but I see no harm in doing so either.

Eventually, Google won't be penalising you for having too many instances of your own brand name on your website, either in text or in Alt tags.

6 to 9 words are enough to write an Alt tag like "Neon Splat T-Shirt in Pink by Couchuk - Front View", but If you need to use more than that to describe an image and it's still natural then go for it.

You can include other keywords in the rest of the Alt tags, for example, call it "Hand Painted Glowing Tee" for one image, and "Hand Splattered Unisex Festival T-Shirt" in the other.

Don't write something like "Neon T-Shirt - Neon Shirt - Unisex Neon Splat Tee - tshirt - High Quality" in a single Alt tag.

Keep it natural, and do it manually for the highest impact. Eventually, you might get more traffic and sales from Google Image search than Pinterest.

- Ahmad

0 Likes
Gabriel_Russell
4 0 0

AMAZING! cheers. do you get paid to do this? I've searched the internet for hours and not found such clear and concise information. 

0 Likes
Ahmad_Kanani
Shopify Partner
50 0 13

Glad you found my answer valuable!

I don't get paid to help in the forum, just trying to contribute and be helpful in my free time. 

In my agency -Siavak- I offer paid services mainly related to conversion optimisation and analytics, but not SEO.

Cheers!

0 Likes
DigitlHaus
Shopify Partner
14 0 0

Hey there, 

Head on over to www.digitlhaus.com - we offer marketing, design and development services to increase your ROI, decrease bounce rates and improve user experience. 

Fill out a request and we will get back to you the same day! 

Thanks, 

DH Team

0 Likes