Analytics : how to get the turnover by product no matter the variant

Tourist
30 0 1

Hello, 

I would like to find in Analytics the turnover by products, no matter what the variant is. I couldn't find yet how to do this.

For example, if I sell the bottle "Lion" in 3 colors : red, blue, black.

In Analytics I will see the turnover by variant like this : 

- Lion / Red : 59$

- Lion / Black : 12$

- Lion : Blue : 0$

But I would like to have a way to retrieve the total turnover for the Lion bottle (71$) no matter the variant.

Is there a simple way to do this in Analytics ?

Thanks

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
73 7 13

Hey there, @GOUSA

That is a great question. Before I attempt to answer your question I'd need a bit more context so I know we are on the same page in regards to your needs. When you say "turnover by products" are you referring to the profit by product variant SKU report that shows your gross profit by variant? Ex. White T-Shirt - Large, White T-Shirt - Medium, and White T-Shirt - Small?

If that's the case and you are looking for the total profit for each product without breaking it down by variant, you can simply go into Analytics > Reports, and select the Profit by product report. This report shows your gross profit by product for the date range of your choice.

Let me know if that helps! 

Dirk | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Tourist
30 0 1

Hello @Dirk thanks for the help.

I was speaking of Google Analytics :)

However I tried to check what you said but I can't have this report. Probably because I don't input the info about how much a product cost me in the product details :/

Do you know a way in Google Analytics to see this turnover by product without breaking it down by variants ?

0 Likes
15 0 0

Hello @GourdeMorning ,

I am John from Report Pundit, a reporting and analytics app for Shopify.

1) Google Analytics will provide only SKU level sales (turnover) reports. They do not provide product level sales figures. However, we have noticed that sales numbers in Google Analytics is different from what is reported in Shopify reports. It is better to take decisions based on sales figures in Shopify.

Google Analytics is best suited for visitor analytics (sessions, funnels, and checkout analysis). After the vistior is converted to a customer, it is better to use Shopify reports. Because you will receive cash into your bank account based on sales, taxes, shipping and transcations as calculated by Shopify.  

2) As Dirk suggested, you can use Shopify's built-in sales (turnover) reports and profit margin reports. For profit margin reports, you will need to enter cost for each variant.

3) We have an app called Report Pundit that can report both sales at product or variant level. You can create thousands of custom reports to analyse marketing, sales and customer data generated each day from your store. For example, you can identify which marketing efforts are working and how often customers come to your website before placing an order. 

Feel free to contact me if you have more questions at support@reportpundit.com

Thanks!! 

Report Pundit - Instant reports and custom dashboards
0 Likes
Tourist
30 0 1

Hello @john_rp , thanks for the answer :)

I'll have a look to your app

0 Likes
15 0 0

Hi @GourdeMorning,

Sure, Thanks!

Report Pundit - Instant reports and custom dashboards
0 Likes

@GourdeMorning You can create a custom dimension and push the product (not variant) name through that, for purchases, This way you'll have a column of data to work with that provides what you're after.

Alternatively, I have not done this before, but you could search and replace the Ecommerce Item Name as a filter to consolidate the names. However, GA documentation says this functionality may not be available for ecomm dimensions.

Run Google Shopping ads? Get the free definitive guide to Google Shopping for Shopify (no optin required): https://www.digitaldarts.com.au/google-shopping
0 Likes
Tourist
30 0 1

Hello @Josh_Uebergang , thanks for stepping in :)

Could you detail a bit more the "custom dimension" you're talking about for solution 1 ?

I'm not sure to understand what you mean and how exactly.

0 Likes

@GourdeMorning Simo Ahava is a great guy to learn more. This isn't necessarily how to do exactly what you're asking, but someone with Google Analytics experience in custom dimensions would be able to combine what you're asking with a document of his on the topic.

Run Google Shopping ads? Get the free definitive guide to Google Shopping for Shopify (no optin required): https://www.digitaldarts.com.au/google-shopping
0 Likes