Anyone Else Have Images Not Being Indexed by Google?

Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 1

I have been with Shopify for a few months but I have had this same online business since 1998. We have always done well in raking and Google images. I checked my webmater (search console) tools today to find that although my pages are being indexed - none - I mean zero, of my images are. I saw there was an earlier discussion about this but it has been closed. I did a Google site search for images and came up with just a handful of images.

Is anone else having this issue? Is there a fix?

Happy Trails to Christmas
1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
269 1 26

Hi L. Spike, 

Stephanie here from Shopify's guru team. 

Utilizing ALT tags would be the best way to have your images indexed by Google. We have a great doc found here that details exactly how to add ALT tags to your product images. 

You could also utilize this free app called SEO Image Optimizer, which assists in generating these tags for you. 

Of course, if you already have ALT tags assigned to your images and images are still not being indexed, feel free to reach out to support@shopify.com and we can look into this matter on a deeper level for you!

Hope this helps :)

Stephanie

Stephanie | Shopify Support
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 1

Stephanie- Thank you for your reply. I do use alt tags and have had great success in the past but now Google is accepting my sitemap and indexing my pages but does not want my images.  This is seriously hurting my traffic as we sell  very visual products. I did try support but they directed me to the closed discussion I mentioned earlier. I'll try again.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 1

Hi L.Spike, did you ever receive a proper answer/solution to this problem? 

0 Likes
Highlighted
5 0 0

I just migrated from Weebly to Shopify a month ago and have the exact same problem.  All of my images have alt tags. Google indexes 0 images. Is there a solution? SHOPIFY.....PLEASE.....HELP....US!!!!

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

DId anyone figure this out?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
13 0 2

I too am having the exact same problem. 0 Images are being indexed, severely hurting my traffic. My sitemap has been uploaded but google does not like the images at all. Being that our images are stored on a CDN we are screwed. We will most likely get some generic response on how to update our "Alt Tags" which has been done, and to make sure our seo is all up to par. Which too has been done. There has to be a way for this to work properly. I myself am currently not only having Images not being indexed. But my homepage, www.enchantedvibes.com does not appear in google anywhere. Yet all my social media is at the top without any issue. 

Sure am starting to wonder whether or not shopify is the correct cart system for a lot of folks these days. Hopefully this will get sorted out. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 1

Shopify has been indexing our images for quite so time now. When Shopify first moved to their CDN this was a issue. Using Shopify's CDN is probably not your issue. Attached is a pic of our sitemap showing images indexed.

You might want to use Google's Search Console and under Sitemaps test your sitemap and resubmit. if you have not already done this. Have you submitted your sitemap via Bing's Webmaster Tools, if not you might want to see if Bing will index your sitemap images.

If all else fails you might try posting your issue in Google' Webmaster Central Help. It is a very active forum and has been very helpful in understanding issues regarding Google interaction with your website.

Hope this is of some help

OD

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 1

This was never resolved for me. I have found posts on this issue going back to 2014 with no comment from Shopify. My new question is: Why is this being ignored?? If I were not scared of moving my site again I'd go back to 3dcart. 

How about an answer Shopify?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
13 0 2

Old Dog,

Yes that is very odd that you have all of your stuff indexed. Mine is not happening at all, and quite frankly am not understanding why this is occuring. Here is a quick picture of my sitemap on webmaster tools for google. 

Getting to be a little frustrated by this to say the least. Not even sure where to begin. 

0 Likes