Apply Discounts at cart

2 0 0

Hey Folks,

I was looking into some shopify documentation (includig this forum) and I couldn't find any answer to my question, which seems quite obvious to me (maybe too obvious): Why do automatic discounts only apply at checkout?

If I use an automatic discount, I want it to show already on the cart page! Everytime I use it, I get a lot of "add to cart"s but conversion is very poor. I believe this is because customers are confused by the original price. I think it makes a lot of sense to show the reduction already at the cart page to help the customers see their actual amount...?

Is there any solution? Is this a problem of my theme? Are there any other threads I can look into?

Thanks for your help!

greetings!

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
583 18 49

Hey, @snakizzel

This is Max from the Shopify Team.

Things like discounts, taxes, and shipping are all built to calculate at the checkout stage once more relevant customer details are added.

Tell us a bit more about your discounts! Off the top of my head I have a few thoughts;

1. Would offering the money off using a "compare at" price be more enticing for your customers? 
  2. You might also be able to promote discounts on pop ups or banners (there are apps and themes with this option).
  3. Adding a line on the cart page about when and how discounts are calculated could be a good option too! (This could be coded in or edited in the language section depending on your theme - Online Store > Themes > Actions > click Edit Language).
  4. You might also consider adding an app like dcode to offer more details on the cart page if coding is too complex.

Let us know if one of these options might work for you! Otherwise, let us some more about your shop and what you're trying to achieve. 

Cheers,
Max

Max | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
2 0 0

Hey Max,

thanks for reaching out!

I already tried a few things, that's why your suggestions does not really fit for me:

1) I have a some NOS styles and I make special day offers for them. So for me it is neccessary to have discount that can be scheduled and also can match a condition. Compare at-discounts need to be set manually and that is really annoying if you need to fill it in and delete by yourseld at midnight...

2) I am already using banners to promote codes and special events, but still. Even if you use a banner at cart with a discount code, the transition rate from cart to checkout is really poor.

3) This is a good idea, and maybe it will also drag people into checkout, but I still think it would be more helpful and transparent if discounts were shown already on the cart page.

4) thanks for the hint. I will check it out. havent't heard of that app yet!

I was just wondering as shopify is a really intuitive platform, I thought it's a no-brainer to show discounts already on the cart page. At least for my clients, that would be a good help to see their actual amount before going further...

thanks+greetings,

Marcus

0 Likes
Excursionist
12 0 3

Hey!
I completely understand the issue. This happens very often when customers want to apply discount coupons in the cart page and expect to see a reduced price. I recently came across this app that adds discount coupon field on the cart page.

c.png

https://apps.shopify.com/discount-coupon-field-in-cart-page

Check it out and see if this helps.

1 Like
1 0 0

Hi @kevindavid 

I tried this. Thank you! Its works fine.

0 Likes
2 0 2

Hi Marcus, did you ever figure this out?

I read the docs here and they say that

cart.total_price

should display the price with discounts applied; however that's not working for me.

Curious too, Max stated in an above reply that discounts are meant to be handled at checkout, but the docs I linked refer to cart level discounts.

1 Like
Tourist
7 0 2

Same issue and I'm noticing that a lot of these discussions are very recent. Could this be a recent bug?

0 Likes
Excursionist
59 1 6

I think you should give the exact price for the buyer to consider whether or not, if they add the product to the cart and the shopping cart part is different, the user will not trust your product anymore because of the price. not transparent

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 2

So I figured out that 

cart.total_price

does account for automatic discounts, but not discount codes, whether the discount code is entered manually or applied via a url.

You can use cart.original_total_price to display the original total, cart.total_discount to display the total discounts applied from automatic discounts, and cart.total_price to display the new subtotal of original_total - total_discount.

1 Like
1 0 0

This is very helpful.  The problem I'm trying to overcome is users abandoning if they intend to use automatic checkout with Google Pay/Apple Pay.

0 Likes