Are Product Tags SEO Friendly?

Shopify Partner
15 0 6

This is a really basic question that I'm a little embarassed to ask, but I have looked around on Google for an answer and I came up with inconclusive results.

My question is: are product tags searchable on search engines such as Google?  E.g. if I have a product called Space Race Dress and nowhere in the product description does it say pink (but there is a "pink" product tag), will my customers find my dress if they search Google for "space race dress pink"?    

If I have a product called Luna Shears tagged with "scissors," will people find my product by searching for Luna Scissors?

1 Like
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
159 0 20

Hey Alice! 

That's a great question so you shouldn't be embarassed to ask :) 

The product tags are only for organizational purposes (like creating collections by tags) so they won't factor into your search results. 

If you want to include certain key words that you don't necessarily want in your product description, you can include these in the products meta description. You can do this by scrolling down to the section on your product that says 'Search engine listing preview' and click 'Edit website SEO'. 

This will expand and show fields where you can enter a meta title and description for your product. 

Kindly,

Danielle

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
15 0 6

Danielle,

Thank you so much for spelling this out for me.  One more question.  What about variants titles: are they searchable in Google?  If I have variants of different sizes (e.g. 6.0", 7.0" etc) and colors (silver, gold, etc), will customers be able to find my products if they serach for the variant keywords?  For example, if I have a product called Vader Shears and a customer Googles for '6.0" Vader silver shears,' will my product show up (if the variant titles don't also appear in the product or meta description)?

Also, is the product description indexed by Google?  Or is it really just the meta title and meta description?  If the variant titles aren't searchable in Google, should my meta description include information about all the variants?  E.g. should my meta description be something like 'Vader shears come in a variety of sizes: pick from 6.0" or 7.0" in both silver and gold.'?  Or is this descrption unnecessary because the variants titles are already indexed?

Alice

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
2 0 0

Alice,

You have some good questions. Google will use your product description for your search rankings as much as it wil use your meta description. So any information that you want to make sure gets indexed have it as content on the product page in the product description. 

Your meta description should be more of sales piecce for a customer / searcher than Google. Think of your Meta Title being one of the most important content pieces for Google and your Customer... and then the Meta Description being the "closer" to get the person to come to your website.

I'm not sure if the variant titles are indexed (they probalby are). It's always good to add them to the product description as well. Google will understand it's important if you add a term multiple times. Also - Think what's best for the customer experience. Normally if you do that your rankings will flourish.

Eric

Eric Fransen, Owner KlikMarketing.com We build marketing automation systems that allow organizations to "Identify" their customer, "Deliver" them to your website, and "Convert" them into a sale.
0 Likes
Shopify Expert
2 0 0

Alice,

You have some good questions. Google will use your product description for your search rankings as much as it wil use your meta description. So any information that you want to make sure gets indexed have it as content on the product page in the product description. 

Your meta description should be more of sales piecce for a customer / searcher than Google. Think of your Meta Title being one of the most important content pieces for Google and your Customer... and then the Meta Description being the "closer" to get the person to come to your website.

I'm not sure if the variant titles are indexed (they probalby are). It's always good to add them to the product description as well. Google will understand it's important if you add a term multiple times. Also - Think what's best for the customer experience. Normally if you do that your rankings will flourish.

Eric

Eric Fransen, Owner KlikMarketing.com We build marketing automation systems that allow organizations to "Identify" their customer, "Deliver" them to your website, and "Convert" them into a sale.
0 Likes
Highlighted

One thing to keep in mind with any theme that uses Product Tags for sorting on the front end by the customer (like the Debut theme): the way Shopify (or perhaps just the Debut theme) works results in all of the Product Tags being seen by Google as individual pages, and these are dynamically generated. 

So if you have myshop.com/collections/collection1 and you use tags, you can use those tags to sort the products into a "sub-collection". A dynamically-generated page is created for EACH tag, such as:

myshop.com/collections/collection1/tag1

myshop.com/collections/collection1/tag2

myshop.com/collections/collection1/tag3

and so on. 

Only these dynamically-generated pages all have exactly the same content as the main collection page. And it could be a situation where Google sees them as duplicate content. 

I know on my shop, Google was returning ONLY the tag pages in search results, and my Product and Collection pages were nowhere to be seen (although they were indeed indexed — just not displayed as a search result). Search engine result listings for my shop were flooded with those useless, dynamically-generated, duplicate-content tag pages. My products and collections were not just buried, but non-existent in the listings due to this. 

I had to add some custom code to the theme to noindex all of those dynamically-generated tag pages. And ironically, you have to find a workaround to get Goole to see the updated pages with the noindex code, because due to the noindex code, you can't manually resubmit them in Google Search Console!

I did se a massive improvement in my search engine result listings (products and category pages were now being returned, not the dynamically-generated tag pages) after doing this. 

I have no idea why Shopify coders would do things this way, or at the least have a toggle to noindex tag pages or any other dynamically-generated pages that could result in the appearance of duplicate content.

Google states that "it will eventually figure this kind of stuff out", but I'd rather not even have it be an issue at all. And in my case, Goole was not "figuring it out eventually". 

The code is so simple to add, it should just be a thing to include in any Shopify theme. Mind-boggling why they would not include this as an option. 

So while the tags themselves may be SEO searchable, be forewarned that they do other things to your site and how it's perceived by the Google spiders and indexers. 

Monster, creature & cryptozoology patches, buttons & stickers.
0 Likes

I have found product tags to be a nuisance for the store. In some cases, depending on the usage of product tags, and further development I think it could be useful however in my case. There were multiple tag pages being indexed in Google search which resulted in low quality or duplicate content pages.

I would recommend running a "site:domain.com 'tag'" search on Google for your website, and see what pages are indexed. 

To remove this issue, you can noindex collection tag pages using the code below;

{% if template contains 'collection' and current_tags %}
    <meta name="robots" content="noindex" />
  {% else %}
    <link rel="canonical" href="{{ canonical_url }}" />
  {% endif %}

This will add a no-index to tag pages on collections, and otherwise, provide the canonical URL. 

Vaping and working
0 Likes

I did the same thing. And from the info I found about how to do this, it was suggested adding it to the theme.liquid page. 

I do like being able to use Tags for on-page sorting, or to be able to use simple URLs to direct customers to specific subsets of Collections. But the more I think about it, the more I wonder if creating and maintaining more Collections might be wiser. 

1 Like

Yes, I think this is where I found it. I forgot to reference, so +1 for that. 

Vaping and working
0 Likes

Yeah I keep a plain-text log file of useful things I find, and changes I make to the site/code. 

0 Likes