Are Product Tags SEO Friendly?

Highlighted
Yep, recommended.
Vaping and working
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
12 0 0

I am facing the same conundrum, but would rather not use the no-follow code as the collections with tags actually make sense in google search. 

ie. If someone is looking for a t-shirt from a specific brand. 

What I would like to adjust is the way google posts the search results; Apparel Tagged "mens" - Empire so that the tagged doesn't show up 

ie Apparel - mens - Empire 

If anyone has any ideas on how to stop google from adding the "Tagged" to the title on SERP that would be much appreciated!

0 Likes
Highlighted

@Matt_Wells wrote:

I am facing the same conundrum, but would rather not use the no-follow code as the collections with tags actually make sense in google search. 

ie. If someone is looking for a t-shirt from a specific brand. 

What I would like to adjust is the way google posts the search results; Apparel Tagged "mens" - Empire so that the tagged doesn't show up 

ie Apparel - mens - Empire 

If anyone has any ideas on how to stop google from adding the "Tagged" to the title on SERP that would be much appreciated!

I am not sure how to do what you ask, but the way I understand the noindex code mentioned in this post, it only excludes the auto-generated tag pages, not the Collection pages themselves. 

I think this is what you want, because otherwise you're going to have all those duplicate tag pages that contain the exact same page content as the main Collection page. And that main Collection page will have all the content you want indexed anyways. 

Consider what I mentioned earlier in the thread, and build Collection pages from the brand tags (using the Auto Collection method, with the tag as the criteria).

That way, you can manually control the content (title/body/meta) on each brand Collection page, making it unique for SEO. 

Monster, creature & cryptozoology patches, buttons & stickers.
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
12 0 0

I see what you are saying, but I think the collections with tags can add value, as they are more specific as to what the customer may be looking for. Ie a t-shirt from a specific brand.

All I want is a work-around so that the "Tagged" text does not display on the SERP. 

I have some page links that a ranking and getting heaps of impressions so would rather not kill them off... 

0 Likes
Highlighted

The main SEO problem is the lack of the auto-generated tag pages having unique content in the title/meta. That is said to have negative impact on SEO. 

And you can always do redirects for those pages currently ranking well, to new Collections pages. 

I only harp on this point because I did exactly what you are trying to do at first (cover lots of search terms with tag pages), and Google was indexing all of my tag pages and none of my Product or Collection pages or the other main pages on the site. It looked bad on SERPs. It buried my best pages. 

But yeah this code we are discussing here is designed to noindex tag pages, so you're going to need another solution. I am no Shopify coder, I am just sharing here my findings from other developers. All of them suggested the noidex route discussed here, from what I recall. 

I think you will have to dig into the template and deduce how the page titles are being generated, and modify that code. Essentially that is what this code does, just to a different part of the page header code. But Shopify uses dynamic code to do all of this, so you should be able to accomplish it. 

Monster, creature & cryptozoology patches, buttons & stickers.
Highlighted

Hi Alice. It depends on how competitive your chosen keywords in Search Engine. If this your keywords is not competitive, your product will appear at the 1st-page result of search engine.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Are Shopify Product Tags SEO-Friendly? 

Shopify's product tags will have a minimal impact on a Shopify store's SEO. Shopify product tags are primarily for categorization. Product tags displayed on the page may help slightly improve on-page SEO. However, too many product tags may actually hurt a store's SEO if Google sees the page as containing too many or irrelevant keywords. 

The best place to improve a page's on-page optimization is going to be the page's title tag and on-page content. Shopify users should ensure that the core keywords are used in the title tags and the on-page content serves users the relevant information they need to make an informed product purchase. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Navigator
337 14 30

Hi

As a SEO executive, I think your customers may find your products with those tags but the percent is really short. You should let your product tags as their product names and optimize your product pages to help Google know your products better, then your customers also find your products easier. Here is a Product Tags SEO guide that I think it's useful for you.

Hope it's helps

Was my reply helpful? Click Like or Mark it as an Accepted Solution to let me know!
0 Likes
Highlighted

@Matt_Wells it's not possible to adjust the SEO title and description for product tag pages. At least not that I'm aware of, and I live and breathe Shopify SEO.

FWIW, the best way to prevent these poorly-optimized page titles from appearing in Google and competing with your other pages is to avoid linking to them altogether. And unfortunately (or fortunately if UX/conversions are your top priority), many themes offer a "filter by tag(s)" feature in their collection sidebar which effectively sprinkles these links all over the place. When Google finds these links, it crawls them. And because product tag pages aren't blocked by a robots.txt disallow directive and don't come with a <meta name="robots" content="noindex, nofollow"> tag, Google will most likely index them.

So if you don't want issues with poorly-optimized page titles showing up in Google, try not to let Google crawl them in the first place. Hope this helps! 

Kevin Wallner // SEO & Analytics Expert
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution
- Ready to accelerate your SEO growth? Let's chat!
Highlighted
5 0 0

I have an E-commerce store type site. I'm selling the dug rug material jackets and hoodies. But I face a lots of issue about marketing . How can I Migrate to Shopify?

0 Likes