Are Product Tags SEO Friendly?

Highlighted

Just a followup here with my experiences after implementing the noindex custom code for tag pages. 

My Google index placement increased dramatically after doing this. It took a good 6-9 months or more to be fully implemented into Google's index, but now I am showing up on page 1 for search terms I used to not even place in the first 25 pages for (and at that, Google was displaying my tag pages rather than Product pages or Collection pages). 

Of course, I cannot say that this would not have happened over time on its own. But my site was up for 18 months without this code change, and my URLs were buried. Within 6-9 months of implementing this code, they are now on page 1. 

One thing I did, that I have no idea if it was helpful or not, was to create a page that listed all of the tag URLs as plain links on the page. Why did I do this? Because after adding the code, Google was not revisiting the old tag page URLs because they now had noindex code (or at least that is what I deduced). I submitted that page with the tag page links to Google to try and induce it to crawl all those dynamic URL tag pages. 

@KevinW is correct in saying that the best solution is to not have these indexed in the first place. I'm not sure any customers even use the tags for sorting, but they are very helpful for creating dynamic collections, and other automated sorting things. So adding the noindex code to them was the ideal soltuon for me, using the Debut theme. 

And note that if adding this code, your theme will no longer automatically update. You'll want to make detailed notes of the code edits, both which pages and where the edits were made, as you'll need to do this manually, after a manual theme update. 

My Google Search Console health improved dramatically after updating my Debut theme, mine was really old and I did not know there were not automatic updates. Themes are built with so that editing the code edits the core theme files. Ugh. But newer versions of Debut has improved Product schema code. That said, my SERP improved on Google even before updating the theme, just with the noindex code for tag URLs. 

Monster, creature & cryptozoology patches, buttons & stickers.
1 Like
Highlighted
Product tags alone don’t do much for SEO. They are just a way to organize products inside of Shopify and in some Shopify themes aren’t ever shown on the page, making them invisible to customers and Google.

Now, if you use them on your product page or link to your tagged collections pages they might impact SEO.
0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hello,

In doing so this info is always displayed to the end user right? It’s not like you can hide in keywords 

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Yes, products tags are SEO friendly as it is considered as content. Google always give more weight to the quality and unique content. So, if the tags are created with the proper product description they surely helps in SEO. If you need more information visit Ecommerce SEO Experts.

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Indeed, items labels are SEO well disposed as it is considered as substance. Google consistently give more weight to the quality and one of a kind substance. Along these lines, if the labels are made with the correct item depiction they definitely helps in SEO. On the off chance that you need more data to visit EMarketz India

0 Likes