Are Shopify Dashboard analytics accurate?!

Highlighted
4 0 0

Hi guys,

Hoping someone can help me regarding the accuracy of the information given on the Shopify dashboard.

Every now and then a get a massive spike in visitors, with no explanation as to why (e.g. I haven't increased advertising etc.). This also doesn't seem to corralate with Google anayltics numbers. It's making me question the accuracy of this information, and other outliers I get with this information.

Has anyone else experieced something similar? Are there any ways to help or explain this? Also, what information do you use to help measure success/failure of online goals?

Thanks in advance :) 

Amy 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
28 0 2

Overall I've seen the visitors to be generally rather accurate.

Can you tell where the visitors are coming from when shown on the dashboard? Check the referer and see. i'd be curious then. I've noticed that sometimes there are certain visits that google analytics counts as one visit and shopify counts as two. Not sure always why though.

Bringing the best of travel and photography at http://www.beyondmyfrontdoor.com/
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
28 0 1

Hello Amy,

I’m Freya, here with the Shopify Support Team!

To add-on to Beyondmydoor's answer, each analytics system operates a little differently and tracks visitors differently. For example, Google can only track visitors that have their cookies and JavaScript enabled on their browser. One possible explanation for the anomaly could be bot traffic, which wouldn't register in Google Analytics, but would show up in your Shopify Dashboard. You can read more about discrepancies between tracking systems on https://help.shopify.com/manual/reports-and-analytics/discrepancies!   

Cheers :)

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

Thanks for the help! :D It seems it may be bots then, as they are all 'direct' visits, no referrals etc. An example i have had this week is relatively low traffic each day averaging at about 25 visits and then on thursday this suddenly spiked to 90 mainly around 7pm. I'll have to have a look into this, is it damamging for my site in any way?

Thanks again,

Amy 

0 Likes